Advanced search

back garden sell off ?

(8 Posts)
Pipsqueak11 Mon 09-Oct-17 22:16:57

we have a great house but it has a really mahoosive garden that is too much for what we need and is a real drain on time and cost to maintain . we are in a row of about 5 houses all with the same size gardens . Behind us is a small spinney belonging to one of the houses in the road behind. i would really ,like to sell the rear part of the garden off for a development but it would make much more sense if it were all of the houses plus spinney and there would be enough space for a cul de sac of houses .
thing is i dont know how to start with getting this off the ground - whether to bring it to the attention of developers and let them decide if it is a runner and if so approach all concerned? or would it be better for me to approach the neighbours and see if they want to put something together to try and get planning permission and to market the plot? also i have no idea of how to value this sort of thing, does anyone know anything about these backfill developments?

JoJoSM2 Mon 09-Oct-17 22:22:51

I’d probably start with the neighbours in that situation but to be honest, it sounds like a very difficult thing to achieve- neighbours to agree areas, prices and everything to organise etc.

I think it would be more lucrative and easier to you personally if you just divide the garden and obtain a planning permission. A plot with permission is worth a lot more and likely to appeal not only to a developer but also to self-builders.

wowfudge Mon 09-Oct-17 22:25:04

I would check the local planning policy first. Some councils have put a stop to this kind of development.

Pipsqueak11 Mon 09-Oct-17 23:12:25

thanks jo jo and wow - good advice to get me started. thanks

GU24Mum Tue 10-Oct-17 10:22:24

If you're doing it by yourself, how would people get access to the new house?

AmIAWeed Tue 10-Oct-17 10:34:41

Being honest I'm the total opposite of you, we do have a large garden but are pushing to buy the field behind us to make sure no-one can build on it and ruin our views. I have a house with land to avoid having houses nearby. IF you were my neighbour id be doing anything I can to stop you, so it may be worth keeping your plan to sell off the garden to yourself...unless of course you live in my village, in which case pop round for a coffee (I live opposite The Plough), tell me all your plans and I'll work out how to stop you whilst smiling nicely ;)

JoJoSM2 Tue 10-Oct-17 11:27:47

That’s an important consideration actually. People might not like the idea. You need to work out how far the new house would be from yours to make sure you’re not staring at a massive brick wall.

We live in a house where the back garden had been sold off. The other house starts about 25m behind ours and was a massive eyesore until we planted a row of tall trees.

Pipsqueak11 Tue 10-Oct-17 14:10:32

Yes all good points re neighbours . I know one of the 5 is as keen as me to explore this option. She's a really good mate so I trust that she is not just playing along . Is it relevant that we're in a city suburb so no real feel of. Countryside or open views. It's quite nice looking over green /trees etc but it's not really a great view and if we were to
lose 50% of our garden we would still have a very large garden . To give you a feeling for it we live in a 1920s bog standard 4 bed semi but the garden has 8 apple trees 4 plum trees 2 pear trees 2 summer houses a table tennis table under cover a huge trampoline 6 raised veg beds and it still has a massive lawn with nothing on it . Takes DH half a day plus on a sit on mower to cut the grass . I'm just so fed up of the time commitment but don't feel strongly enough about it to fall out with the neighbours if any were opposed. I suspect it would be mixed . My immediate neighbour is lovely and we get on well but for him the garden is everything . He is literally out there all day everyday working on it and it is immaculate. His wife has a hooter and he only comes in when she hoots it for mealtimes but he is 85 so I think will wish to downsize sometime over the next 5-10 years . I would never suggest anything whilst he is still next door as he loves the garden and I would hate to upset him.
Access could be through the spinney or they could knock down a block of 3 garages on the road behind . Perhaps I just need to move and let some one else enjoy the garden space -but I love my house and have just got it how I want it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now