Talk

Advanced search

Sole mortgage application when married

(11 Posts)
welshweasel Mon 09-Oct-17 19:41:25

My husband and I currently have a joint mortgage and are looking to move house. Due to the age gap between us (he's older) we were only able to get a mortgage for 19 years on our current property. I'm now the higher earner (just) but both earn well (180k joint income). Would it be possible for me to apply for a 25 year mortgage solely in my name when we move? I can afford to borrow more than we need on my own but would mortgage lenders view this with suspicion??

Ta1kinPeece Mon 09-Oct-17 21:58:37

yup
if they do not let you, suggest they read up on sex discrimination

JoJoSM2 Mon 09-Oct-17 22:11:33

I think it could be possible. However, there could be that whole can of worms re responsibility for paying, the names on the deeds etc. So depends on your relationship.

Since the mortgage is so small relative to your income, why don’t you just get one jointly even if it’s over a shorter period?

Tiredstressed Mon 09-Oct-17 22:16:02

Yes - I had no problems applying for a mortgage in my sole name whilst married. The mortgage company didn't bat an eyelid.

ivytable Mon 09-Oct-17 22:31:46

Our mortgage used to be in my husbands name only as I was on mat leave when we took it out...mortgage advisor suggested it. Remortgaged in both of our names. If we move in a few years and I earn more we will remortgage in my name only as I’m 18 Years younger and could borrow over a longer period of time

CheeseBadger Tue 10-Oct-17 09:41:25

It'll be fine, but your lender probably won't allow your H's name to be on the deeds if he is not on the mortgage. It might be worth thinking about how the house is treated in your wills if he is not on the deeds.

Ta1kinPeece Wed 11-Oct-17 20:36:53

Cheese
If they do that, it is outright sex discrimination and they are banged to rights.

Men have been adding wives to deeds without earnings for generations
if a bank makes the slightest attempt to prevent the reverse, they are in DEEP doo doo

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 11-Oct-17 20:49:37

Our mortgage application was based on DHs earnings only (I'm self employed) but my name is on the mortgage and of course the deeds. Lender didn't bat an eyelid.

welshweasel Wed 11-Oct-17 21:01:39

Thanks everyone. Meeting with our mortgage advisor on Friday so will see what the options are.

Bearbehind Thu 12-Oct-17 09:39:14

talk I don't think anyone is arguing that it's not possible for the OPs DH to be on the mortgage or deeds without an income- only whether the term of the mortgage would be restricted by his age.

I don't know the answer- logic says if there is no income from him when calculating the mortgage affordability then his age shouldn't matter but logic often doesn't have much to do with things!

CheeseBadger Thu 12-Oct-17 10:18:19

Ta1kin - I think the difficulty is that if someone is on the deeds but not the mortgage, it makes repossession a lot more complicated in the event of a default. In the historically common case you mention, the non-earner would typically be named on the mortgage as well as the deeds.

I was recently forced to remove DW's name from our deeds so I could remortgage in my name only as a result of her "interesting" credit score...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now