Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Original structure loft - help

(7 Posts)
coneywonder Mon 09-Oct-17 15:46:16

Hi everyone,

Didn't know how to work the title of this thread really but looking for some advice. We are currently in the process of purchasing a 4 bedroom end of terraced house. The 4th bedroom is in the loft and is part of the original structure of the house, however the survey has come back stating it doesn't meet building regs. My solicitor is currently trying to find out what this means legally. But im hoping someone has some knowledge on the subject. It states it doesn't have a smoke alarm or carbon dioxide alarm or a hand rail on the stair case, these are obviously easily fixed issues so am I worrying over nothing?

Our first thought was that if it didn't have building regulations it's not officially a 4 bedroom house but if the loft is part of the original structure of the house then surely it is and the surveyor is being overly cautious regarding the building regs situation?

I really hope that makes sense!

babyboyHarrison Mon 09-Oct-17 15:48:39

How old is the house?

PigletJohn Mon 09-Oct-17 15:51:28

how do you know it was originally a habitable room?

If it was actually built that way a hundred years ago, insulation will be woeful, and it might have steep and narrow stairs. Fire protection and escape are probably very poor.

There is no obligation to rebuild old houses every time standards change, but it might not be a very nice or safe room.

5rivers7hills Mon 09-Oct-17 16:43:23

Oh god I had this when selling my house.

House was built on there floors in the 1900s a so G floor, 1st floor of bedrooms and a scone floor in the attic essentially. This was original. Not a conversion. All the houses in the street are like this.

The buyers solicitor wanted building regs for the 'loft conversion' - ARGH

Ended up spending weeks of time arguing about this and in the end I found a photo of the street from 1910 showing the 'loft conversion' windows. Pain in the back side.

5rivers7hills Mon 09-Oct-17 16:44:04

f it was actually built that way a hundred years ago, insulation will be woeful, and it might have steep and narrow stairs. Fire protection and escape are probably very poor.

Yup you're describing my old bedroom!!!

PigletJohn Mon 09-Oct-17 16:57:01

?scone?

coneywonder Mon 09-Oct-17 17:05:07

Thanks everyone. The room is actually very nice and we won't be using it as a bedroom just as storage an an occasional guest bedroom.

We planned to do some work up there anyway but didn't want it to affect reselling

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now