Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you rather move to Brighton or Crystal Palace?

(32 Posts)
tilda0 Mon 09-Oct-17 10:24:25

Pregnant 5 months, European citizen and coming to the UK...
Let me know your thoughts smile thanks

Cruciatus Mon 09-Oct-17 10:25:04

Brighton! No question

JoJoSM2 Mon 09-Oct-17 10:30:09

What a random choice! Do you want to live in London or Brighton? Have you got a job lined up? What do you want the area to offer?

SyrilSneer Mon 09-Oct-17 10:30:56

If you will be working in London then Crystal Palace. The Brighton to London commute is a killer, expensive and subject to the whims of Southern Rail and the incompetence of Thameslink.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Mon 09-Oct-17 10:31:17

They're really different. CP is great for families but expensive and urban (constant traffic on the main roads). I love it and wouldn't want to live elsewhere. I've only ever visited Brighton.

tilda0 Mon 09-Oct-17 11:54:07

Cruciatus why?
JoJoSM2 Not random...we want to have access to London but live in a safer area, with less air pollution. We are freelancing.
SyrilSneer even for a couple of commute a week?
JohnLapsleyParlabane you talk about traffic...is the pollution as bad as central London?

SleepingInYourFlowerbed Mon 09-Oct-17 11:58:42

I would never ever do the commute from Brighton to London on the trains. Even when the staff aren't striking, the line is a shambles. I commuted the other way for a fee years and hated it.

JoJoSM2 Mon 09-Oct-17 12:35:12

Crystal Palace is quite an urban area... If you want less air pollution, you need to move further out.

As an example, we live in zone 5 in S London (very easy commute into central London) and it's one of those low pollution areas on the map. Within walking distance we have some open countryside (think sheep, lavender fields etc) and there's a lot of greenery (parks, golf courses). So that's a balance between fresh air and commuting.

From a quick google, Brighton is no better than inner London...
www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/sites/brighton-hove.gov.uk/files/Air%20Quality%20Annual%20Status%20Report%202016%20%5BPDF%202.7%20MB%5D.pdf

If you're likely to commute only twice a week, you could consider moving to the countryside in the Home Counties for fresh air. Unless you want to be closer to the action, in which case suburbia (zones 5-6) could be a good compromise.

JoJoSM2 Mon 09-Oct-17 12:43:53

PS If you want somewhere safer too, then the lowest crime rates are the boroughs of Bexley, Kingston, Richmond and Sutton (so suburbs again).

guilty100 Mon 09-Oct-17 12:50:08

I'd personally move to Crystal Palace. I love the city and you're close to so much culture. Brighton is OK for a weekend, but I don't think I would want to live there permanently.

crabappley Mon 09-Oct-17 12:55:26

Brighton by a mile. Happy people, loads of stuff going on, you can walk everywhere, food, music, great place for kids.

SyrilSneer Mon 09-Oct-17 13:11:36

Brighton is a lovely place but no if I had no particular ties to it and had to do a regular weekly commute to London I would avoid like the plague. The London commuter zone is huge. You will probably get some good advice if you can be a bit more specific about your needs - where do you need to get to, how often, how much money are you willing to spend on travel etc.

Lily2007 Mon 09-Oct-17 14:10:00

Brighton but it is overrun by tourists at times. There maybe a better option than both if you let people know where you need to get to, how much you can pay on rent, if you need good schools, what you are looking for / need.

tilda0 Mon 09-Oct-17 19:03:21

Thanks everyone.

In the best case scenario, we would work in Brighton and commute occasionally. We will need a school in 3 years but I am not obsessed with having the best grammar school. Budget is K300 cash, hopefully with a little loan on top.
Thanks @JoJoSM2 for the air quality report. Countryside sounds lovely but I think we still need some sort of a quiet city vibe.
Then I wonder if I have a false idea of Brighton being cool and enjoyable (I have been there twice only). Maybe it's a very touristy place and it would get on our nerves. It seems quieter in the winter.

tilleuls Mon 09-Oct-17 19:07:51

I live in Brighton. Thé schools are brilliant, there's so much going on for kids, you're right by the sea and ten minutes drive to the Sussex Downs...so many lovely cafes and restaurants and tons to do. I think it's a perfect place to grow up

Lily2007 Mon 09-Oct-17 22:01:30

I think Brighton is lovely and would go out of London if you only need to be there occasionally. I've only visited and sometimes it has been very busy as its so nice but it wouldn't stop me moving there. I know someone who lives in Lewes and they say that's lovely and he commutes in everyday, I wouldn't care to do that commute everyday but occasionally would be fine.

antimatter Mon 09-Oct-17 22:10:37

not sure what you can get in Brighton for £300K but not much more than a shoebox in Crystal Palace and you area family of 3 I guess

why would you choose Brighton over let say Salisbury or Rugby?

how much importance does culture (or seaside) play for you

putdownyourphone Mon 09-Oct-17 22:13:23

I was born and raised in CP but now live in brighton, and have done for 10 years. I love it, for me it's like london but better - smaller, more chilled, more open minded, it has a beach. South east london is great but it's a bit restricted in that the transport links aren't great, plus it can be rough. Brighton is the best grin

putdownyourphone Mon 09-Oct-17 22:14:42

Brighton is fun and cool, the tourists flock in on the weekends in summer but tend to stick to the touristy areas, there's lots going on away from the main strip

ScrubbyGarden Mon 09-Oct-17 22:17:17

I'd choose Cristal palace, but 300 won't get you very far in either place.
If you don't mind a bit of grit, I hear great things about Folkestone- great burgeoning arts scene, ok for an occasional London commute, affordable.

JoJoSM2 Mon 09-Oct-17 22:17:34

It sounds like you like the bohemian, seaside vibe? In your position, I’d probably start if by renting in Brighton and taking a bit of time to explore the coast as there are some other funky towns along the coast. It would also give you time to see how you feel about areas and properties once the baby arrives.

muminthecity Mon 09-Oct-17 22:23:23

I've lived in both and much prefer Crystal Palace, but then I do love London. However, you would only get a 1 bed flat for £300k in Crystal Palace.

crabappley Tue 10-Oct-17 07:36:28

Brighton schools are full to bursting though.

ScrubbyGarden Tue 10-Oct-17 12:03:06

As are the ones in Cristal palace

ScrubbyGarden Tue 10-Oct-17 12:03:52

Apologies for my phone's weird spelling of CP!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now