Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Utility room: loads of storage, or a sink - WWYD?

(17 Posts)
AuntPol Sun 08-Oct-17 14:08:43

We're currently planning some building work. As part of it, we will have a utility room.

It's a bit constrained in space, and so we could either have a whole wall of floor to ceiling cupboards (including washer & dryer stacked on top of each other) OR have the washer/dryer stack and then a sink with a cupboard underneath.

Main kitchen will have reasonable storage, and a large sink plus a half bowl sink.

I can't decide which would be more useful - loads of extra cupboard space, or a second sink. Which would you do?

namechangedtoday15 Sun 08-Oct-17 14:17:42

Its a subject that's come up before and MN seems to be divided. Lots of people see a sink in the as a 'must have', others not so much. I think it depends in you and how you'd use it; do you wash mucky football boots / wellies, do hand washing, leave things to soak/ lots of gardening and need somewhere to wash hands etc? Also do you have a downstairs loo with a sink?

For me, I'd have storage every day of the week over a sink, but that's because I don't do any of the above. I also love a clutter-free look in the kitchen (absolutely nothing on worktops etc) so need plenty of space in utility. The only thing I would say is an area of worktop is handy in a utility (for folding / offer have slow cooker in there, something defrosting etc) so think about that before you go completely floor to ceiling with storage.

namechangedtoday15 Sun 08-Oct-17 14:18:39

Sorry for all the typos- on phone

MiniDoofa Sun 08-Oct-17 14:22:49

Having a sink would be my choice. Especially if you have kids- I use mine daily- using stain removers, filling mop bucket, cleaning shoes, cleaning paint brushes etc etc. could go on all day.
We're currently thinking of renovating our laundry but will definitely keep sink and come up with other places to maximise storage.

JaneEyre70 Sun 08-Oct-17 14:27:58

We actually knocked our kitchen and utility room into one a few years ago, and DH thought I was mad when I insisted on keeping both sinks but the utility area is invaluable.....I wash shoes, wellies etc in there and thankfully our cocker spaniel fits in too!! We wash pet bowls and soak laundry in it, and it's more valuable to me than any cupboard. It depends on what you would use it for though....and you could always get a sink cover so it's a run of worktop when not being used?

Vancitybrit Sun 08-Oct-17 14:32:28

I would go for the storage. We have a sink but it means no room for cupboards tall enough for mop or airers so these end up out which I don't like. We hardly use the sink as have downstairs loo and kitchen sink close by.

JoJoSM2 Sun 08-Oct-17 14:45:32

Depends on your lifestyle. We've got a sink in the utility but I honestly can't remember last time I used it. We don't have a dog and on the rare occasion that wellies need a rinse, we do it in the garden.

AuntPol Sun 08-Oct-17 16:44:05

Thanks everyone.

We don't have a dog, and rarely have muddy wellies etc.

But I do hate it when DH washes paintbrushes and stuff like that in the kitchen sink (although hopefully after this round of building works, that will be the end of DIY for a good long while!)

We do have a downstairs toilet, although the basin in that is tiny. But yes, it can certainly be used for hands after gardening etc.

Good point re: storage for airers, ironing board etc. I would definitely like a tall cupboard for those!

Thanks to all for the input, it's definitely helping!

YourDandDaddy Sun 08-Oct-17 17:18:33

Bigger utility!! You will never regret sink and more storage smile

AuntPol Sun 08-Oct-17 17:43:08

No room for a bigger utility room, unfortunately. But yes, ideally we'd have loads of storage AND a second sink - but it's just not possible.

Whattodoforthebest1 Sun 08-Oct-17 17:51:29

I've just moved house and have my first utility. I love having another sink. Do you have a garage? Could you put extra storage in there?

I also have my ironing board hung on a hook on the wall, it keeps it out the way and it doesn't constantly fall over like it used to!

Baxdream Sun 08-Oct-17 18:36:58

We are currently having an extension and we are having a Belfast sink in our utility but we have a dog so it will be a dog bath too x

PerditaNitt Sun 08-Oct-17 18:47:47

My utility sink has been useful when we have had builders and decorators in the house and don't want them using the kitchen or bathroom sinks for getting water for their tools, etc. That said, it isn't sufficient reason to have one and I rarely use it (perhaps a couple of times a month). What I do like is counter space in the utility room for folding laundry, storing my ironing basket and etc, so I'm glad I didn't put in floor to ceiling cupboards for that reason.

PerditaNitt Sun 08-Oct-17 18:50:26

Instead of a tall cupboard, you can buy a mop/brush tidy from b and q,etc, which can be wall mounted on the back of the utility room door. It will also fit Hoover extension poles, etc, so it does free up space, even if it isn't as elegant as having everything tucked away in a cupboard (but I treat my utility room as a giant cupboard anyway)

Ruhrpott Sun 08-Oct-17 19:03:23

I had a sink int eh utility in my last house and never used it. In this house we have a work surface over the washer dryer with wall cupboards above and a tall area for ironing board and mood/brushes etc. We use work surface to sort and fold laundary and I don’t miss the sink at all

nightshade Sun 08-Oct-17 19:03:49

Absolutely another sink....great when you have big dinners extra roasting dishes animal dishes trainers paintbrushes...and all manner of other items to wash...in fact if I had the chance I'd have a sluice sink!

5rivers7hills Sun 08-Oct-17 19:58:54

Depends on your life style

Ive seen butler style sinks on top of the counter over a washing machine which might be an option?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now