Advanced search

Lodger and bed question

(17 Posts)
RaininSummer Sat 07-Oct-17 16:16:28

I am getting my spare room ready for a lodger. Currently there is a single bed. The room isn't tiny but I feel a double will shrink it too much. I will buy a double if it is seen as a deal breaker so wondered what peoples opinions are.

dementedpixie Sat 07-Oct-17 16:21:54

What about a small double? That's what dd has

MyBrilliantDisguise Sat 07-Oct-17 16:21:59

I think an adult needs a double bed. Single beds are for children.

RaininSummer Sat 07-Oct-17 16:30:35

You are probably right. I think I am a bit odd as I slept very happily in it for four years until recently (snoring partner) but have switched house about now. It can be done. I think I was also hoping that a single gives the message that I don't want to have people staying over much as I am not a hotel. They would be fully entitled to have their significant other over once or twice a week though so it would be cosy. As an aside, I find it odd that adults are expected to have double beds but share bedrooms whereas kids are expected to have single beds but own rooms. I love having my own room and leaving him farting and snoring with the dog.

dementedpixie Sat 07-Oct-17 16:34:11

A small double could be a good compromise. Bigger than a single but won't take up as much room as a double

RaininSummer Sat 07-Oct-17 16:42:38

Yes that's a good idea. My Mum said the same. Ty.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sat 07-Oct-17 16:44:55

Single beds look lonely and un-cosy.

I'd go for a double.

Floralnomad Sat 07-Oct-17 16:48:22

Both of my dc have had double or king size beds since they were about 8 . Are you sure a lodger is suitable if you don't want overnight guests that often ?

RaininSummer Sat 07-Oct-17 17:22:02

Lodger will be fine, had one before, but not randoms staying the night more than once a week or so. If I wanted to rent a room to a couple I would.

SingingMySong Sat 07-Oct-17 19:33:18

A normal double only adds 18" to the width. Unless you are really short of space, I think it's a good idea. I take your point on discouraging 3rd parties from moving in, but you can deal with this in other ways.

One option is to keep the single but offer to swap the bed for a double if the selected lodger wants.

AdalindSchade Sat 07-Oct-17 19:35:26

Are you sure a lodger is suitable if you don't want overnight guests that often ?

1-2 nights a week is perfectly reasonable for a lodger. It’s not the same as flat mates (though I’d say 2 nights a week for flat mates is also about enough)

RaininSummer Sat 07-Oct-17 20:25:18

Thank you Adelind. Singing, that was first thought but maybe I will just bite the bullet. Just saw a post on spare room from a lady who wants a room just mon to weds so that may be great for both if us. Have sent her a message. Going to look at beds tomorrow .

5rivers7hills Sat 07-Oct-17 23:35:09

100% a double bed - adults don’t need much floor space!

I’ve got a Monday to Friday lodger, its the absolute best! Mine has own home and family so just has enough stuff for the working week here and no danger of bringing dates home, plus he really focuses on work during the week. Also he is lovely but even if he wasn’t a 4 night a week basis is amazing.

AllToadsLeadToHome Sun 08-Oct-17 00:25:57

A small double - 4ft would be fine if you have the space for it.

Lily2007 Sun 08-Oct-17 01:25:09

I used to rent a room out years back to students with a single bed, never had any problems and no extra guests! I would stick with a single if you don't want overnight extra guests.

Lily2007 Sun 08-Oct-17 01:28:23

I would also maybe wait and ask the lodger what they prefer, rather than rushing out and buying something now.

Wingedharpy Sun 08-Oct-17 01:38:46

Well I'm a grown up and I sleep in a single bed , as does DH, and we just love them.
Plenty room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now