Talk

Advanced search

Curtain/window treatment ideas please

(5 Posts)
kitchener Sat 07-Oct-17 09:27:51

After posting about our big kitchen refurb and the lessons we learned (link here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/2958072-Kitchen-Lessons-Learned-The-Result), I need ideas for curtains/window treatments for our north-facing living room in a 70's house with two big windows.
There are radiators underneath each window, so we either need to go short or move the rads.
I'm not sure about headings - what have you seen that looks good, please, and any suggestions of stockists very welcome - I can make them if necessary, so fabric suppliers would also be good to hear about.

There's a large patterned rug which will be staying, so I'm thinking of a pale-ish blue linen-type fabric and keeping the walls neutral.

thanks!

7to25 Sat 07-Oct-17 09:29:58

Terry's fabrics are always good for basics.
I can't say more without more information!

kitchener Sat 07-Oct-17 09:38:17

I'm keen to find out what headings look good these days - the ones we have are very old and dated with a pelmet.

The room has a mixture of old and new furniture, a dark antique wood music stand and a mid-century style wood and grey TV cabinet.

The sofas and chair are all dark brown leather (and a bit battered, which I like).

The big rug is similar to this one... and it's on a stripped oak floor. It was too expensive to change.

7to25 Sat 07-Oct-17 11:37:30

OK
Headings popular at the moment are plain pencil pleat on an unobtrusive track. Narrow plain upholstered pelmet (embracing mid century modern). Poles still popular although more industrial. Gone are the goblet pleats, triple pleats and eyelet.
I think your curtains should "reference" your rug in some way. Otherwise it looks a bit unintentional.
?choose a neutral from the rug and do two shades of it, one for curtains and one for walls?
If using poles keep them narrow if your curtains are short. Looks like the bottoms are chopped off otherwise.

kitchener Sat 07-Oct-17 13:19:06

Thanks, that's very useful - I'll put a mood board together before deciding on the fabrics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now