Talk

Advanced search

Need an objective viewpoint

(7 Posts)
Angelicabean Fri 06-Oct-17 20:13:14

We had an offer accepted on a property and are nearly at completion. Searches didn't show up anything but on further investigation the land directly behind is going to be sold for development next year. This in itself is not a problem but it has since come to light that the property we are buying is encroaching on this land. At some point the present owners have attached their fence panels to the metal security fence surrounding the land, also the large shed &'pergola are also secured to the fence. At some point this fence will be removed which will impact on the garden. We estimate it will cost £2-3k to replace the fence and restore the garden. We've asked for a contribution from the sellers of £1-1.5k but they've refused. Their estate agent has sent us a long email which is, in our view, unprofessional, trying to push us into exchanging before we're ready. Initially the sellers told us they were not buying immediately and therefore there was no chain. Suddenly they are saying they need to complete asap or they will lose a property. Are we being petty over the fence or is our request unreasonable?

DancingLedge Fri 06-Oct-17 20:27:04

If they're in a hurry, it's in their interests to wrap up the deal with you.
There may be no deceit, circumstances may have changed.
Just tell them that you need the price reduction , because of the fence issues.
(Whilst privately working out the minimum you could afford to accept)

DancingLedge Fri 06-Oct-17 20:29:39

And it's the EA job to represent their clients interests. No point getting upset about that. You ,however, don't have to pay that nevermind.

JoJoSM2 Fri 06-Oct-17 21:18:49

I would find that petty. Most houses need this, that or the other done.

Angelicabean Fri 06-Oct-17 21:52:42

Really? I understand that things will need updating and replacing as necessary. The kitchen and bathroom are not to our taste for example and we are planning to update them. But this is an entire boundary fence which has been moved back by about a foot and fastened to someone else's fence! We will incur the cost of replacing it when the fence is removed which seems unfair, as we all know it will be because of the way they have secured it.

seemenow Sat 07-Oct-17 01:49:03

How much are you offering for the property? Every place I've owned has needed some extra work. You're aware of this issue - is the property still worth it? In my opinion, a couple of grand is not worth losing a good house for. Seriously - how much are you paying, and how much is the additional work is proportionally? A couple of grand, when you're buying a Property is bugger all.

llangennith Sat 07-Oct-17 02:59:26

I'd be put off and wonder what else they've concealed. Don't be pushed into completion before you're 100% certain you still want the property.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: