Talk

Advanced search

Renting storage space

(14 Posts)
WhichJob Thu 05-Oct-17 22:28:13

We are about to have building work done - finally! - and I'm looking into renting some storage space. But I can only find external storage space - will all our stuff - everything from sofas to clothes to books/dvds - get ruined over the winter when it gets cold?

If I can find internal storage, will that be heated through or is it just the same? Or can we get away with external storage.

Neolara Thu 05-Oct-17 22:59:10

We were renovating and put most of our stuff into external storage over the winter. It was fine although the curtains smelt a little musty when we moved back in. The one thing we were worried about putting into storage was the piano so we kept that with us.

WhichJob Thu 05-Oct-17 23:03:32

Thanks Neo. How long was your stuff in storage for?

Neolara Thu 05-Oct-17 23:15:13

9 or 10 months in total.

Badgertastic Thu 05-Oct-17 23:30:47

We have a storage unit currently. It is an outdoor container which has insulation and a dehumidifier in it. It works brilliantly.

WhichJob Thu 05-Oct-17 23:38:03

Badger, that's good to hear. Am I worrying unnecessarily about soft furnishings etc?

namechangedtoday15 Fri 06-Oct-17 07:59:08

There are lots of Self Storage places about - even if you gave to travel a but further you only have to do it once when you take and once when you collect? We did it, one of the massive warehouse type things and worked brilliantly.

NotMeNoNo Fri 06-Oct-17 08:04:34

We have used a self storage unit whilst renting. It's a local business. They have an indoor warehouse all divided into metal units of different sizes. You have your own key and padlock. They have a loading area and trolleys and sell boxes and packaging too. Really everything is as safe and dry as in your spare bedroom. The 100ft2 unit is about £180 per month but that had almost a garage worth of stuff in.

WhichJob Fri 06-Oct-17 08:14:26

Name change, we think we will have to be back and forth to it a bit so I don't want it to be too far. But I can certainly keep looking for somewhere else.

specialsubject Fri 06-Oct-17 09:21:52

I was warned not to use containers for anything that shouldn't get damp. Condensation, vermin etc.

I had all sorts of stuff in a self store climate controlled warehouse for five months - didn't even get dusty.

Lucisky Fri 06-Oct-17 13:03:13

We have used both self storage and storage by a removal company.
The self storage was unheated but totally dry (outdoor lock up thing about the size of a single garage). We were very happy with it.
For the bulk of our furniture It was taken away for us (great! No lifting) and stored by a local removals firm. It all came back in excellent condition, and was remarkably good value - so much so, we eventually got them to empty the self storage for us and store our stuff with them, their monthly fees were cheaper.
The self storage was for some furniture from my deceased parents house. But we then had our house overhauled which entailed putting nearly everything into store. Using self storage for all that would have been horribly expensive. (Plus I really hate moving furniture.)

WhichJob Sat 07-Oct-17 09:11:32

Thanks everyone.

Badgertastic Sat 07-Oct-17 11:05:54

Because ours has power, insulation and the dehumidifier I was happy and things have been fine. Without the dehumidifier I would not leave furniture in there as it would get damp, as it is essentially outside storage like a garage. Depends on the type of storage I think and what they offer.

AllToadsLeadToHome Sun 08-Oct-17 00:57:25

We have used the Big Yellow a few times, it is secure and offers 24 hours access if required.Good choice of room sizes. It is not heated. I would use it again although they play horrendous music that you can't turn off.

Recently changed to a cheaper and closer one which is not as good, shoddy building mainly and although they told us there would be no music, there is.

I would look at the various self storage units rather than a container as they are more secure. You will need to take out insurance, so factor that in as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now