Talk

Advanced search

Is it normal to get cold feet after putting house on the market?

(8 Posts)
SexNamesRFab Thu 05-Oct-17 07:28:22

Is it normal to get cold feet after putting house on the market?

For the past year I've been trying to persuade DH to upsize. After seeing a house we both loved, he finally agreed. We've now got to the point where the EA is prepping the details and we have a couple of viewings arranged.

I should be really excited... But the house we loved is now sold and our home, now clean and tidy with all the odd jobs done, looks fantastic. I'm starting to worry we're making a mistake and I'm going to regret it.

Also, I'm in London (SE zone 4) and the prices have really dropped so I'm on for 5% less than I would have been a year ago - but I'm concerned we're not seeing that reflected in the houses we might want to buy.

Loopytiles Thu 05-Oct-17 07:29:26

Are you confident you can afford a bigger property? Even if one or both of you were out of work?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 05-Oct-17 07:35:23

I think it's normal, because you (one) tends to think your house is wonderful, and think anyone looking at it will be lucky to have it grin.

That feeling can change if you find another dream property, but yours hasn't sold, it can become a millstone around your neck. You wonder why no one else likes it enough to offer on it!

I'd go on the market and see. If you get an offer just say subject to proceding is subject to you finding somewhere to buy.

JoJoSM2 Thu 05-Oct-17 08:39:41

Selling and buying can be very stressful and a rollercoaster of emotions. However, once you move into your amazing big house, you'll probably feel happy to have done it.

With regards to prices stagnating/dropping, doesn't that start at the top of the market? Perhaps the bigger houses dropped a while ago already?

PerfectlyPooPoo Thu 05-Oct-17 11:30:14

We had that too Sex. Both DH and I looked at our house after we had prepared it for the first viewing and thought, this is lovely, we should stay!

But I think our cold feet is more that we are leaving the UK so it's a big step.

We are in zone 3 SW London and prices are falling here. We've decided to go on until early December (when our 12 week lock-in contract finishes) then take it off and see what Spring brings next year.

I've just realised I am obviously assuming it's not going to sell during this current period grin

augustusglupe Thu 05-Oct-17 13:23:11

We did when we put our house on 8 years ago. Truth was we weren’t really ready to move. So we didn’t. We put our house back on this Summer and I’m excited and ready to go. Are you sure you really want or need to move?

PickAChew Thu 05-Oct-17 13:28:12

I think it depends why you want to move. We need to move. We need another bedroom and we need a more accessible location. Our house has served us well but now doesn't meet our needs.

We've found a version of a dream house that we can afford (because we really can't afford our true dream house!) but I do admit that if anything goes wrong with this purchase, then we're stumped, as we've found nothing else that we love.

AngelicCurls Thu 05-Oct-17 21:03:25

We are in the same position, very few things on the market that we like apart from 1 dream house. We like our house still, don't hate it, so if the dream house goes would be concerned about not finding anywhere better than what we have. Our plna is to accept a lower offer if the dream house is still an option (because we can afford to as dream house is not massively stretching us) but if that goes to hold out for asking price unless something else amazing comes on the market. But then I have days, mostly when it's sunny and I've prepped he house for a viewing, when I think I'm crackers for wanting to move as life would be simpler if we stayed out!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: