Talk

Advanced search

Bathroom light problem

(7 Posts)
catchyjem Wed 04-Oct-17 14:11:05

Bathroom light stopped working properly the other day. It comes on but only a little bit. I've tried replacing the bulb (it takes a Philips pl-q 4 pin 16 watt) but it's just the same. It lights a very little but not all along the tubes. So, before I call an electrician just thought I'd ask if anyone knows what this problem is on the off chance of a quick fix?!

DOLLYDAYDREAMER Wed 04-Oct-17 17:45:46

That is a type of flourescent tube bulb. so does the fittjng have a starter ? It sends a current to get the bulb fully alight

PigletJohn Wed 04-Oct-17 18:01:53

it's a bit past it now. They used to be a good, energy-saving solyrion, but this year LEDs have become so cheap, and reasonably powerful ones have arrived, that the CFL is now a dead end.

I wouldn't spend money on it, I'd go for a new lamp that takes an ordinary (BC or RS) lamp fitting that you can buy in any high street.

In a bathroom it's better to have an enclosed luminaire. For some positions above or close to a bath or shower it may need to be IP44

PigletJohn Wed 04-Oct-17 18:03:12

BC or ES

BC is bayonet cap (UK most common)
ES is Edison screw (European most common)

catchyjem Thu 05-Oct-17 09:21:06

Thanks for the replies. I don't think it has a starter. I've looked and it's just a kind of U shaped bulb that pulls out, nothing else in there apart from wires. It is an enclosed unit that I had to open to access the bulb. It's only 4 years old. It was installed by Wickes as part of a bathroom refurb. I'm pretty annoyed it's gone wrong already. So do you think I'd be better just choosing a whole new fitting and getting it installed rather than getting someone out to look at this one?

PigletJohn Thu 05-Oct-17 10:08:59

Yes

It's unlikely to be worth repairing.

You can still get parts for fluorescent lamps with tubes, because there are hundreds of millions of them in offices. I didn't see spares for your kind of lamp. There might be some in a warehouse somewhere.

I had one fail about a year ago and swapped it for an LED lamp that uses half as much power and will probably last longer.

catchyjem Thu 05-Oct-17 13:42:59

Thanks that's been really helpful. I won't waste any more time on this light, I'm off to look at new ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now