Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help me with Windows decision!

(21 Posts)
flower76 Wed 04-Oct-17 13:04:49

I have nobody to ask and need to let them know today what window openings I want.

Can anyone see any reason why having these windows without any small ones might be an issue before I do the whole house in them!

Thanks so much

CoffeeCupCake Wed 04-Oct-17 13:11:46

Can’t think of any issues! They look nice. Sometimes you can lock or shut them with a small gap for a bit of ventilation, do they have that?

Doyouknowme2017 Wed 04-Oct-17 13:16:25

I have windows like that and I definitely miss small windows. Sometimes you just want a bit of ventilation without having to have a whole window open. I'd feel uncomfortable leaving a large window open if I popped out but would be fine to leave a smaller one open (e.g. in the bathroom or toilet). I rarely open my windows now because I only have large ones! They do look better in my house though...

flower76 Wed 04-Oct-17 13:57:20

Oh thanks for the feedback.
That is useful to know and what I have been wondering about. Don’t know what to do now!
I know they would look nice but we always have the small kitchen window slightly open and wonder if that is safe. Do you know if when they lock a tiny bit whether they are secure? I mean would insurance pay out if locked with small opening?

flower76 Wed 04-Oct-17 13:58:15

‘If that would be safe’

flower76 Wed 04-Oct-17 14:02:00

Could go with something more like this?

Just doesn’t look as nice IMO.

Form or function, form or function??

JoJoSM2 Wed 04-Oct-17 14:13:15

I don't like the little windows. Just more PVC blocking the view.

Doyouknowme2017 Wed 04-Oct-17 14:16:42

I don't have those exact windows, sorry... only ones with just the large openings. I think you'd need to ask your insurance company whether you'd be covered. If a person can fit through them I'd always be a bit concerned though! Even if they did lock!

anxietycentralallthetime Wed 04-Oct-17 14:17:47

My neighbours have those large windows and left them in the locked position but on the latch so open a crack. A burglar used a crow bar in the night to prise the window open and stole their car when they slept so I don't think they're very secure when left locked but open a crack.

DancingLedge Wed 04-Oct-17 14:21:03

I think the small top bit that opens is not as nice looking, and dated.
But could be useful in a bathroom.
If you have security concerns about leaving the larger windows open, there are devices that prevent them opening very far, so people can't get in, or DC fall out. Some window stays can be locked such the window is only open a little bit.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Wed 04-Oct-17 14:24:53

Most modern plastic windows can have trickle vents fitted for some ventilation

3boys3dogshelp Wed 04-Oct-17 14:30:13

We changed for windows with a large opening and love them. My rooms feel brighter. I don't miss smaller windows at all. We have young children and we do have limiters on the upstairs windows so that they will only open about 10cm. We can take the limiters off but a child can't do it. A couple of (clearly childless) window salesmen thought I was strange when I asked for them but I'm glad I insisted as they could easily fall out of the downstairs ones.

nemno Wed 04-Oct-17 14:31:29

I've avoided putting the little windows into the front and back of the house, it looks better that way I agree. But on the sides of the building I have put some for through ventilation. The windows open a crack can easily be forced.

flower76 Wed 04-Oct-17 14:37:05

Thanks very much for the input.
I will see what I can find out about the trickle vents, sounds like the perfect solution because I don’t really want to have everything sealed with no ventilation.
Also interesting about the windows on the sides of the house. I only have one but that could work as would not compromise the look from the front or exterior.

And thanks for the advice re security, doesn’t sound like it’s an option to leave these open a crack.

No windows in bathroom anyway.

5rivers7hills Wed 04-Oct-17 17:31:19

I don't like the little windows

Can you go for the three but get the ones that lock a little it open?

5rivers7hills Wed 04-Oct-17 17:32:36

The windows open a crack can easily be forced.

Entire PVC windows are super easy to 'pop out'!

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Wed 04-Oct-17 20:53:56

If you do decide to go for three large windows as per your picture in first post, note that centre non-opening window does not match 2 side opening windows.
I personally think that this looks awful.
You can choose to make all windows the same profile, regardless if they open or are fixed, which looks much nicer

PigletJohn Wed 04-Oct-17 21:35:28

you can have trickle vents. they can be opened to allow a small amount of ventilation; but if you dislike ventilation you can shut them.

as it's nor a window you are opening, they do not assist anyone wanting to break in.

I think PVC windows are glazed from the inside now, making it harder to remove glass from the outside.

PigletJohn Wed 04-Oct-17 21:38:15

sorry, I see Squiff already said it.

some people buy windows without trickle vents, which I find sad when they complain of condensation.

Workingonthemoon Wed 04-Oct-17 22:02:22

Wrote a long reply but lost it.
1. Def get trickle vents. Best window invention ever.
2. If it's an uostairs window I believe you have to have at least one window which can operate as a fire exit in which case you'd need a big opening window.
3. If you have just one opening window, ask about the different frame widths. With ours the opening window had a wider frame than the non opening one so we had to specifically ask them to make the non opening bit look the same. Would have been odd otherwise but they didn't offer this.
4. Less opening windows = cheaper often.
5. How often will you actually open a window that large? If you think it would mean you didn't open it then you'd be better off with a small one.
6. Do you have the clearance to open it? If you're one for lots of nic nacs on windowsills or you have a window box or have your bins under it or sometging then it might not be that practical.
7. You could always split that opening bit into two so you have a small window at the top and the bigger one at the bottom. Then you have the best of both worlds without adding much more plastic.

babyboyHarrison Thu 05-Oct-17 08:06:18

We have young kids and not having the small window means we can't open the windows in their rooms. If you have kids make sure the windows have a restrictor on them do they are safe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now