Talk

Advanced search

Hall ideas, wwyd?

(18 Posts)
user263781638 Mon 02-Oct-17 13:58:15

Just bought a massive renovation project one of the main reasons we loved this house was the amazing hall! I've always wanted one and this is perfect.
The plan so far is new staircase, probably oak with glass sides .
we'll be adding a downstairs wc, door will be to the right.
Taking out the random second set of glass doors hmm

Where I'm stuck most is flooring what ever I go for will carry on through the whole down stairs minus the second 'cosy' living room which will be carpet.
So wwyd? Tiles, kardeen, parquet? Definitely won't be having laminate and which ever I chose I would like a light colour.

Pictures are from when we bought it and one from now when it's all been ripped out.

MrsEricBana Mon 02-Oct-17 14:09:29

Ooh exciting! For me it would be wooden floor - aesthetically pleasing, natural, practical, warm under foot, won't date. Not keen on Karndean as at end of day it's vinyl ie plastic, just like laminate. (We inherited a wood look Amtico kitchen floor. I do not like it but can't change till change kitchen as goes under all units). Tiles in anything other than kitchen or bathroom is too chilly feeling for me (and feels a bit like Spanish villa). Absolutely love wooden boards or parquet.

JoJoSM2 Mon 02-Oct-17 14:11:37

I wouldn't do Vinyl either if you can afford tiles or parquet. Judging by your plans for the stairs - large porcelain tiles might be to your liking.

YourDandDaddy Mon 02-Oct-17 14:33:09

Oak and glass will go with most floorings (even more oak!) I'd chose your kitchen then first, then base your flooring decisions on that. Looks like your house has huge potential- good luck!

JohnLapsleyParlabane Mon 02-Oct-17 14:34:26

We have bamboo flooring, it's gorgeous

Humptynumpty02 Mon 02-Oct-17 17:54:12

Separate question, how long does it take to replace a staircase, ie how long are you confined to the downstairs before you can use your new staircase?

Aftershock15 Mon 02-Oct-17 18:09:06

We have engineered oak boards (with underfloor heating) all over downstairs. The bottom stair is also oak then carpet for rest of stair case.

Boredboredboredboredbored Mon 02-Oct-17 19:45:16

What your floorboards like?? I've also just bought a wreck and loved the hall way straight away...it has lovely pine boards which I'm going to sand

Humptynumpty02 Mon 02-Oct-17 19:53:52

What a great project!

MrsEricBana Mon 02-Oct-17 20:50:12

Ooh Boredboredboredboredbored that will be fantastic!

dynevoran Mon 02-Oct-17 20:55:42

Oak herringbone parquet would look lovely. We used engineered herringbone parquet to make our stair treads and for the whole ground floor. Also have glass balustrades.

JoJoSM2 Mon 02-Oct-17 22:19:46

Bored, is your house 20's/30's? My stairs are the same style smile We've kept them dark and gone with black and white marble on the floor smile

Next, we'll need to decorate the walls as it's a bit bare.

Boredboredboredboredbored Thu 05-Oct-17 19:55:14

Thanks! Yes it's a 1930s semi which hasn't been sold since 1940 so a complete wreck. The bones of it are fab though, I'm going very simple in the hall, white woodwork, pale stained boards and shutters at the front windows....can't wait to get it done!

Boredboredboredboredbored Thu 05-Oct-17 19:56:26

Jojo yes very similar in style, love what you've done with yours 🙌🏻

JoJoSM2 Thu 05-Oct-17 23:11:54

What a project, Bored! Are there many original features in the house? Sadly, ours only has the original front door and a stained glass window next to it. Everything else had been ripped out.

MrBennOfFestiveRoad Fri 06-Oct-17 21:32:49

I'm considering Amtico Corona for our hall, as it loks great online, although I am going to look at samples before making a decision.

MrBennOfFestiveRoad Fri 06-Oct-17 21:34:42

"looks"

SingingMySong Fri 06-Oct-17 23:22:27

Fab! I wouldn't do wood effect LVT if you're going to put it next to genuine oak and painted wood. If it has to be vinyl for practicality - and it is really practical - perhaps tile effect rather than wood.

I love the look of bamboo, but could be tricky to get a pale one to work with the oak.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now