Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Please help - struggling with oven

(16 Posts)
user1479289699 Mon 02-Oct-17 11:50:25

Hi hope you can help. I picked an oven to replace the existing built under oven in our kitchen. Kitchen is being replaced completely in next 3-4 years so I'm not looking for an expensive one. Problem is, the builder said the one I picked out is too wide, and gave me new measurements to work to, but I cannot find any built under ovens with the below widths! Have I misunderstood or am I just not looking properly? I assumed all build-under appliances were the same width but this gap seems narrower. Thanks

Recess dimensions:
Width - 560mm
Height - 720mm
Depth - 570mm

Yewtown Mon 02-Oct-17 16:47:16

Would this one be of any use
www.365electrical.com/MD721SS_Matrix-Double-Built-Under-Electric-Oven.html

user1479289699 Tue 03-Oct-17 07:29:20

Thank you that's the only one I've found but it's a bit out of our budget. I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding because there was an Indesit one in there before so I'm not sure why I can't find any more!

NotMeNoNo Tue 03-Oct-17 09:03:54

This looks odd. Width of recess for a built in oven is 600-18-18 =564mm
The actual oven may be slightly narrower for tolerance but they are nearly all made to fit the same standard unit.
The front part of the oven that you see is wider, is this the measurement you've been using?
Also single ovens are not 720mm high they normally have a drawer or trim panel under them.

NotMeNoNo Tue 03-Oct-17 09:11:47

Is this helpful? Need to ask builder whether he is talking about front or back dimensions. You might have to look on manufacturer website to find the installation size but they should be standard.

user1479289699 Tue 03-Oct-17 12:44:10

Yes thank you. the one i'm looking at, the installation guide says min 597mm so i think i need to pick another? s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/media.markselectrical.co.uk/manuals/IDU6340BL.pdf page 22

(sorry it's a double oven that's why the height is 720)

NotMeNoNo Tue 03-Oct-17 14:03:17

It's a different sort of oven. It's free standing and slots in instead of a cupboard then you run the worktop over the top. Like an integrated dishwasher. Your builder will have to remove the cupboard if there is one, then the space will be the right width. did you have a single oven previously?

user1479289699 Tue 03-Oct-17 14:22:31

Yes there's a single oven in there now but he can remove the bottom plinth thing and have the space for a 720mm height double oven. I just can't find one with a minimum of 560mm width.

The current one is 595mm wide measuring the door, and 560mm wide measuring the back part. It's 600 height but it's only a single.

try2hard Tue 03-Oct-17 14:33:20

If you can't find a double then get a Samsung single - you can divide them in half so it can run 2 different temps.

YorkshireTea86 Tue 03-Oct-17 14:46:23

If your putting a double built under put in rather than reolacingnthe single you'd have to remove the cupboard not the plinth.

user1479289699 Wed 04-Oct-17 12:49:16

I've taken some photos / drawn a diagram hope it helps!

This is the oven I wanted: bit.ly/2gaO7Ge and this is its installation guide www.stoves.co.uk/media/549804/ST-SEB600FP.pdf

Do we think with my drawing of the measurements, that this one would fit?

Also - we have another issue in that I've been told that if the oven that's in there in the moment hasn't been hard-wired, we'll need an electrician if we wanted to install a double one. So we may have to have another single anyway (or pay a few hundred). The electrical report we did says there's a circuit called 'cooker' but not sure if we can use this for a double oven? sad

YorkshireTea86 Wed 04-Oct-17 13:41:43

You'd need to take out the unit that's there that holds the drawer, a built under double oven doesn't have any oven housing.
Can you see on the board how many amps the cooker circuit is?

NotMeNoNo Wed 04-Oct-17 13:48:12

It looks like it should fit to me. You would need to remove the trim panel and shelf - there will be another shelf underneath that lines up with the other units. The cavity should then be big enough for the oven. I expect the electrician would replace the 13a socket with a hard wired connection for the double oven. Is that really several hundred pounds?

DOLLYDAYDREAMER Wed 04-Oct-17 17:53:28

There may be some basic makes of double oven that are 'plug and play' that means can plug into 13 amp socket. They only have 2 elements. one in fan oven one in top grill section. si not really double but oven with seperate grilll. maybe stoves, new world, They put them in caravans. They fit as previous poster said. Remove unit and fit support rails onto side of units rither side.

NotMeNoNo Wed 04-Oct-17 18:52:18

In the instructions you will see for the 70cm unit there are alternate fitting methods with or without a cabinet - it looks ideal TBH. I would show the builder those instructions and confirm it will fit.

user1479289699 Fri 06-Oct-17 12:06:12

Thanks all. Builder is sure it will fit because of the 3 different fitting methods so one of them is bound to work! Electrician coming today to quote on changing it to hard-wired - fingers crossed!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now