Talk

Advanced search

Builder has been unrecommended! How to choose new one.

(7 Posts)
Snowglobes Mon 25-Sep-17 10:13:46

We were recommended a builder so had him estimate works. My friend has since rung and said not to go with this builder - not finishing her snags and moody. I've text him about a start date (before she retracted her recommendation) and he hasn't replied. This was2 weeks ago. I'm thinking he's a non starter. So, if I get recommendations from other people what do I need to ask people please? And/or ask the builder? Is there a good way to go about finding a good builder please? Not many people are recommending their builders sadly! Any advice please?

QuinionsRainbow Mon 25-Sep-17 10:55:39

Do you mean "estimate" or a fully-costed quotation? And have you made any contractual agreement with him?

3luckystars Mon 25-Sep-17 11:42:02

Sorry for my stupidity here now but what's the difference between an 'estimate' and a 'full quotation' ?
We asked a builder for a rough idea of costs. Then he finally text that he had 'a full quotation' done up and wants to meet now.

I thought most people got several quotes before proceeding with a builder. Does your post mean that he might charge me for this?

Snowglobes Mon 25-Sep-17 14:01:34

It was an estimate. I was hoping to have him do a proper quote once we've got planning and I can do a schedule of works. The estimate is for a house that we were looking to buy (moving tomorrow) so just wanted a feasibility & rough estimate at that stage. luckystars an estimate is exactly that, an estimate of how much it will cost - a ball park figure really, whereas a quote is how much it actually will cost if you stick to what they've quoted for - so not taking into account if any changes you may make along the way. For a quote it's often very specific regarding exactly what's included and what's not.

Snowglobes Mon 25-Sep-17 14:04:24

No contract with him, no quote, just an estimate. But given she's retracted her recommendation I'm now wondering where to go. How do I get recommendations please?

3luckystars Mon 25-Sep-17 22:02:24

Ask around your friends who have built houses or gotten extensions, or would your architect recommend a few builders?
I think you can also check with the planning crowd, find out which neighbours have had similar jobs done and get the name of their builders.

It's a total minefield. This whole building thing reminds me of having my first baby. I don't have a clue what I'm supposed to be doing and won't truly realise until I am knee deep in the shit.

Tika77 Tue 26-Sep-17 10:38:38

And even if someone recommends things might not work out.... just as I found out about our recommended 'architect'. Just bear that in mind. Good luck with finding a reliable one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now