Talk

Advanced search

Knock 2 ensuites into a jack & Jill bathroom

(24 Posts)
Killerqueen2244 Sat 23-Sep-17 20:10:27

Would you do it? We're looking at a house that has 2 large bedrooms that both have small ensuites. I'm thinking a bigger room with a large shower, double basin and toilet would be preferable, mainly because the shower cubicles are very small so makes it look a bit poky in each room.

I'd appreciate your thoughts- would you prefer a separate ensuite to each room or jack and Jill for a larger space?

mooneypie Sat 23-Sep-17 20:15:49

I'd prefer a larger en suite just to one bedroom though

Killerqueen2244 Sat 23-Sep-17 20:27:58

Thanks Mooney I didn't think of that!

ChicRock Sat 23-Sep-17 20:32:46

The in-laws have a jack and Jill bathroom in their house. It's bloody awful. DH and I, and SIL and her partner, stay in the bedrooms that mlead into it when we stay there.

Having to remember to lock both doors when you want a bit of privacy for a poo, getting up in the night for a wee to find that someone forgot to unlock our side of the bathroom, urgh... they're a hideous idea.

unicornhelp Sat 23-Sep-17 20:41:05

I think it completely depends on the family set up and who's bedrooms they'd be.

Killerqueen2244 Sat 23-Sep-17 20:42:56

Thanks chicrock, that's why I'm torn. The rooms are poky and I'm not a fan of small shower cubicles but having to make sure the other person doesn't come in while you're on the loo isn't appealing either!!

Killerqueen2244 Sat 23-Sep-17 20:45:22

The amount my husband snores I'd say one would be his room and one would be mine haha!!

JoJoSM2 Sat 23-Sep-17 21:40:55

I once lived in a house with a J&J bathroom and it wasn't a problem. I think it works well for siblings sharing it but as described above - could be awkward for unaccustomed guests. Alternatively, you could consider changing it into an ensuite to one of the bedrooms only or perhaps making it into a bathroom accessed from the hallway (if poss).

Is one of the en suites for the master bedroom? In that case I'd keep it or consider doubling it size but not sharing with another room.

Killerqueen2244 Sat 23-Sep-17 21:49:45

Both rooms are almost the same size so neither is a natural master bedroom. The house was originally a 4 bed with a tiny bathroom and these 2 rooms/ensuites are part of the extension.

So maybe my next question would be- would you be put off by a 6 bed house with 1 ensuite and 1 small family bathroom?

We're thinking of buying it as a project so need to keep saleability in mind!

JoJoSM2 Sat 23-Sep-17 23:46:28

It doesn't sound like a good enough ratio. Maybe a master with a dressing room and an ensuite. Then 4 more beds and 2 baths? 5 beds and 3 baths is probably a much more desirable combination.

PickAChew Sat 23-Sep-17 23:48:16

if your main bathroom is a good one, I'd keep them as they are.

Viserion Sun 24-Sep-17 00:04:48

Hate, hate, hate Jack and Jill bathrooms. It is bad enough hearing your own DP in there, but lying in bed listening to your in laws using it was hell on earth!

Two bathrooms isn't really enough for a six bedroom house. Assuming couple share the en suite and one guest room (with 2 intermittent occupants), you then have 4 people trying to share 1 bathroom. Depending on their ages and bathing habits, queues could be quite long!

missnevermind Sun 24-Sep-17 00:27:45

Can you not jiggle the walls so you have a tiny shower room and toilet and a nicer one for the ensuite.

missnevermind Sun 24-Sep-17 00:32:02

Sorry posted too soon. My boys have a shower room that is only the size of a full size bath but still has a nice shower, loo and wash hand basin.

Killerqueen2244 Mon 25-Sep-17 16:45:01

Thanks for your input, I dislike small shower cubicles, which is why I was pondering the Jack and Jill set up. The 'main' bathroom is very small, with the gable end hanging over the window so you can't actually open it hmm

I did consider whether to extend the bathroom into the 6th bedroom, which isn't very large so that it is a lovely size and if budget allows make it top spec...but I worry about loosing that extra room. Even if it is only a single room!

5rivers7hills Mon 25-Sep-17 17:12:01

So at the moment you have 4 bedrooms and 1 family bathroom, plus 2 en suites?

Not a the ideal ratio.

Can you post a floor plan?

Killerqueen2244 Mon 25-Sep-17 18:34:14

Here's the floor plan, clearer than I can describe it hopefully!!!

YourDandDaddy Mon 25-Sep-17 18:55:59

How many bedrooms do you need? How many bathrooms do you want?

5rivers7hills Tue 26-Sep-17 10:57:59

Thanks for the floor plan.

I'd probably loose the single bedroom, would make a better bedroom bathroom ratio.

I would make the two en suites into a good sized master en suite.

Then muck with the bathroom and bedroom 6 and make a lovely big family bathroom AND separate shower room.

Then you have 3 bathrooms 5 double bedrooms.

5rivers7hills Tue 26-Sep-17 11:14:23

Or alternatively make the one big en suite and put in a nice shower room downstairs - especially if there is somewhere you can have it where it is accessed directly off the stairs/hallway

rizlett Tue 26-Sep-17 11:32:15

Would it be possible to extend the wall in the bedroom space that the current ensuites are in - as far as possible but still allowing the bedroom door to open fully?

PragmaticWench Tue 26-Sep-17 13:07:15

Agree with making the two small ensuites into a decent sized ensuite for the master bedroom. Then reconfigure the current family bathroom and one of the small bedrooms into a big bathroom, with either a small shower-room as well, or a large laundry cupboard.

Aftershock15 Tue 26-Sep-17 13:17:40

Make larger ensuite to master. Smallest bedroom to family bath & separate shower room as suggested and possibly tiny guest wet room using wardrobe space between 2 bedrooms. I like guests to not have to worry about wandering about in their night clothes.

Whinesalot Tue 26-Sep-17 13:20:27

Do you need 6 bedrooms? May be worth talking to an estate agent about what the impact on price a 5 bed with better bathrooms would be

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now