Talk

Advanced search

How often have you moved, post children?

(31 Posts)
TheMendedDrum Fri 22-Sep-17 19:29:41

Curiosity mainly. I never moved as a child but have already moved my DC 3 times since birth (as a baby and toddler). Wondering what's typical? Do you anticipate moving with your kids, especially older kids (~10+)? TIA.

LadyLovelace Fri 22-Sep-17 19:37:05

My children are 15,13,7&5. Since becoming parents we have moved 6 times but we haven't moved for 5yrs since DS1 started senior school.

Alicetherabbit Fri 22-Sep-17 19:38:54

Heading for third move, hopefully this will be it.

LadyLovelace Fri 22-Sep-17 19:40:43

So DS1&2 remember a few houses, DS3 only remembers this one and DD has only lived in this one. This is our forever house though.

Changednamejustincase Fri 22-Sep-17 20:39:51

Once. Wouldn't be keen to move area and therefore school again. Would move within the area.

TheMendedDrum Fri 22-Sep-17 20:56:19

Hmm. Interesting. Is not moving during senior school the cut off for most of you?

BarbaraOcumbungles Fri 22-Sep-17 20:59:53

Once. No intention of moving again.. ever!

Itis6oclocksomewhere Fri 22-Sep-17 21:02:51

We’ve moved 5 times.
Various reasons, all very boring.
All before our eldest started high school.
Plan to stay at current home for a while!

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Fri 22-Sep-17 21:05:07

Once when the eldest was 2 into a naice area. The youngest has only ever lived here. Think my next move will be a bungalow hmm

SvartePetter Fri 22-Sep-17 21:05:24

None. Hope not to move at all, but will depend on secondaries. DS1 just started reception.

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Fri 22-Sep-17 21:06:35

My children are 18, nearly 16 and 14

We moved when ds1 was 3 and dd was 2weeks old

Sallylondon Fri 22-Sep-17 21:06:53

Not moved since I had children. Youngest was born here in this very room. My parents have been in their house 40+ years. I was brought home from hospital to that house. Not big movers our family!

ineedamoreadultieradult Fri 22-Sep-17 21:07:21

We moved when DS1 was 2 and I was pregnant with DS2. We moved into a house big enough for all of us and close to good schools. I don't anticipate moving again until I am ready for a retirement bungalow or flat but you never know what the future will hold.

VioletCharlotte Fri 22-Sep-17 21:07:49

Five times hmm

All within the same area though. The joy of renting.

NapQueen Fri 22-Sep-17 21:09:02

I have a 3yo and a 6yo who have only lived in our current house. We are planning (within 2 years) a move. However we are planning on choosing somewhere that will do us while the dc live at home. Once they are up and out we may downsize again (and hopefully come back to these flats!).

escapetheinsanity Fri 22-Sep-17 21:10:00

Kids are 11, 10, 7 - moved 7 times, just moved countries. This is not a permanent house so we're looking at at least 8 before we're settled...

HesAWanker Fri 22-Sep-17 21:11:44

We've moved 8 times including 3 different continents and four countries. Kids have a variety of passports. Last move was when DD1 (eldest) was 16 when we moved to the U.K.
We aren't moving again.

shazkiwi Fri 22-Sep-17 21:12:28

We've moved twice in 11 years. Eldest DD was a toddler the first time & in year 2 the 2nd time. We only move out of necessity, so if we had to we would move when either of our children was in senior school.

lazydog Fri 22-Sep-17 21:21:45

Moved within the UK when DS1 was 5 months, then from UK to Canada when he was 6 and DS2 was 2.5. Then another move (but within the same area, so no change of school necessary) when DS1 was almost 16 and DS2 was 12.

RippleEffects Fri 22-Sep-17 21:21:52

My 13 yr old has lived in 6 houses, 11 year old 5, 6 year old only 2.

Moved to the North to be nearer family. Lived in rented to give birth to Ds2 very near family looking after high needs Ds1 whilst i was hospitalised. Moved North Wales, divorced as XH couldn't cope so needed to sell dream house with baby and toddler, oh the joys.

Shockingly met and moved in with DH2 within three months of meeting, sold his small house 3months later in parallel with buying new dream home family house. Married six months after meeting, had DD just over a year later, major series of life changing events ment we needed to move - devestated, moved. Now a few years on, actually quite settled back very close to family and DS1 in fab special school, DS2 in an associated very good secondary (just started), DD in an okay primary - but all oversubscribed so best we can probably get.

I found moving schools etc when they were little was okay but the older they get the harder it gets. It would be very very difficult and quite damaging to uproot DS1 now he's yr 9 and settled. A move at this stage would really impact him. Ds2 is 11 just yr 7. He'd cope with a move durring this year but I think beyond initial secondary year it really would start to have an effect on results, friendship groups and his fragile confidence.

We are survivers though as a species. If needs must, then you do what you need to and make the best of it.

elQuintoConyo Fri 22-Sep-17 21:21:53

DS has known 2 addresses. We rent, so that might go up. If we had to move again we would stay in the same town and keep him in the same primary. It feeds into a good secondary.

I had lived at 10 adresses before starting secondary. I have lived in 27 different houses in my life, i am 42yo. Moving again wouldn't phase me. If DH said lets move to the other end of the country/France/Italy/San Francisco tomorrow, then i'd be off.

Terribly itchy feet grin

fucksakefay Mon 25-Sep-17 13:08:33

On our second move. First move was a change of area with our eldest a toddler. Now we are staying in same area so no change of schools needed but bigger house with four beds for three DC. I don't anticipate moving again until they are at uni!

scaryteacher Tue 26-Sep-17 07:52:00

Moved abroad when ds was 10, then back briefly when he was 18. Abroad again just before he started uni, and this month before he started his MA, as the l/l wanted the house back. Will next be moving back to UK in 2019, and then one final move if we decide to downsize or need to be nearer a town when we are in our 60s/70s.

Chasingsquirrels Tue 26-Sep-17 07:56:28

Never, been here 17 years - dc's are 15 & 11. Youngest was born right next to where I am currently lying.

Had been looking at Rightmove with now late-DH for a few years but never found anything that I preferred. I expect I'll stay here for a while now.

DeliveredByKiki Tue 26-Sep-17 08:00:05

Once in the U.K. Then emigrated to the US and have lived in 2 temp apartments and 3 houses. DS is 8 and DD is 5.

I'd lived in a similar number of homes when I was their age and had lived on 3 continents by then too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now