Talk

Advanced search

Landlord refusing to replace carpet

(48 Posts)
owltrousers Thu 21-Sep-17 10:13:13

I just want to get a couple of opinions on this matter if poss.

We live in a small 2 bed rental house in Bristol, we pay £805 a month for our house and rent through a lettings agent (next door have the mirror image house and they pay £500 to a private landlord, sickening!)

We've lived here 2 years and improved the property tenfold by repainting all the walls and ceilings and sorting the (overgrown) garden out for them.

One issue we have is the carpet. Its really old, once cream carpet with no underlay to speak of. Its hard, damp and very very grubby. Its getting to the point where hoovering just feels like polishing a turd. I'm fed up with it. I've asked several times for it to be replace and every time they've said no. In may we thought we were getting somewhere but they just sent someone round to shampoo it, which didn't look any different.

I have attached pics, what do you think. Have I got a case here? We are going to have a baby in a few months and there is no way I putting my baby anywhere near this carpet.

Thanks

ToddlersAndCoffee Thu 21-Sep-17 10:41:02

I can see what you mean but honestly my dad's a landlord, he would be constantly buying new carpet everytime a new tenant came in if this was the case as alot of people don't look after it. Maybe ask if you can replace it? Or see if there's floorboards underneath and get them polished up? Was it like that when you moved in?

owltrousers Thu 21-Sep-17 10:44:35

Thanks @ToddlersAndCoffee

It was bad, but has gotten worse I'd say. The carpet is easily 8 years old and flat as a pancake.

I am asking them one last time and if they say no I think I might ask if we can replace it. Its just a bit gutting because it would be a big expense for us and they will benefit long term.

JoJoSM2 Thu 21-Sep-17 10:44:42

If you're paying way over the going rate, wouldn't it be possible to move to a nicer property instead of carrying on living in a dump?

JoJoSM2 Thu 21-Sep-17 10:45:47

Also, it's not for the tenants to sponsor the landlord and you've already sorted the paint job and the garden!

owltrousers Thu 21-Sep-17 10:49:41

@JoJoSM2 Its not a dump, its a nice house... it just hasn't been looked after.

Unfortuantely moving wouldn't be an option for us for a while as I'm 6 months pregnant. We also have pets which makes it incredibly hard to find a rental property! - we already asked for an 18 month contract but they'd only allow 6 or 12 months. We're currently here til July 18.

Zoopla does state that our house is worth £650 in rental value... so we are paying way over the odds.

JoJoSM2 Thu 21-Sep-17 10:52:08

Is all of the carpet that bad or just some patches? Perhaps a rug to cover it up?

owltrousers Thu 21-Sep-17 10:53:57

The whole house is carpeted with the same stuff but its mainly downstairs (1 room essentially, its a tiny house) thats bad. I've only requested the downstairs carpet be replaced, I can deal with upstairs.

We already have a big rug covering the whole of the front room.

wowfudge Thu 21-Sep-17 10:58:59

How much rent you are paying is immaterial as presumably you decided it was worth the rent when you signed the tenancy agreement?

Yes the carpet looks tired - but if it has been professionally cleaned and isn't worn in such a way it is a safety hazard then there's not much you can do about it. Where in the house is the carpet? Your photos appear to show the hall. Put a nice washable runner over it for now. If it's the living room, get a rug.

If you do choose to replace the carpet yourselves, then you can always store the landlord's carpet and have it refitted rather than give them a new carpet at your expense. Petty maybe, but the landlord isn't entitled to getting the property back in better condition than when you moved in.

I would also bear in mind that with small children in the place, once pristine things may well get messed up so you might be glad there isn't a brand new carpet to worry about.

wowfudge Thu 21-Sep-17 10:59:27

X posted with you OP

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Thu 21-Sep-17 11:02:48

Tbh I think the ll may be saying no to new carpet because you've got pets.

owltrousers Thu 21-Sep-17 11:04:33

@wowfudge thank you.

When we started renting the house it was £750, it has gone up every year since. They tried to increase it to £865 this year but we managed to persuade them otherwise.

I realise that small children = mess but this carpet STINKS and is unhygienic, theres no way you could let a baby crawl on it.

owltrousers Thu 21-Sep-17 11:05:37

I wondered this too @Milk , we have paid extra damage deposits of £450 for our cat and small dog however and they have never caused a single bit of damage.

RunningOutOfCharge Thu 21-Sep-17 11:08:31

Hire a rug doctor

TBH it's in a high traffic area. Where will you store your prom?

RunningOutOfCharge Thu 21-Sep-17 11:08:43

*pram!!

owltrousers Thu 21-Sep-17 11:09:48

Ok so last time I want to say this... its been professionally cleaned already

Hoping to store the pram in the car boot most of the time, if not we have a patio round the back that is semi sheltered.

Ttbb Thu 21-Sep-17 11:15:18

Why don't you just put a rug over the top? Or just find somewhere else to live? I don't see how you can force him to change the carpet.

owltrousers Thu 21-Sep-17 11:16:24

@Ttbb I'm not forcing anybody!

RunningOutOfCharge Thu 21-Sep-17 11:19:16

Nah I don't think 'professionally cleaned' works as well as doing it yourself

You cannot store a pram in car boot or on a patio!! The mould grows quick, it will be permanently damp

unfortunateevents Thu 21-Sep-17 11:29:46

Stepping back a bit, your big problem is that you have pets and that makes renting difficult. Because of this, you have ended up paying over market rate (although I would take what Zoopla says with a pinch of salt) and having to take a house which is not of the standard you wish. It also doesn't sound as if it is suitable for your purposes anyway now that you have a baby on the way. I doubt that you are going to get anywhere with your current landlord and I absolutely wouldn't spend any more of your own money on the house. Your choice is either to find another house which will take pets, at your current inflated rent (or maybe higher) or rehome the pets!

owltrousers Thu 21-Sep-17 11:31:42

I'm not going to rehome my pets because a greedy landlord won't replace a 7 year old carpet for £200 jeez!

Shiftymake Thu 21-Sep-17 11:33:50

I would slap a laminate floor down, much more hygienic and easier to clean, especially with a baby coming, store the old carpet and put it back when you move. Why do so many people put carpets in their houses btw, esp landlords? Lived in the UK a few years now and do not understand why people use carpets.

RunningOutOfCharge Thu 21-Sep-17 11:39:35

If there are downstairs neighbours is laminate a good idea?

stayathomegardener Thu 21-Sep-17 11:40:37

If you google the chemicals given off by new carpets and compare them to risks to your baby of old worn carpet that has off gassed I think you may decide to stick with what you have.

That is if you are purely considering the health risks to your child.
If you just don't like it visually I agree it's not a good look.

stayathomegardener Thu 21-Sep-17 11:43:46

It's also quite tricky, I'm a landlord and wouldn't ever use carpet as it wears too quickly.
I would replace it but not with pets.
The frustrating thing is I expect it will be replaced when you leave to attract new tenants.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: