Talk

Advanced search

Radon Gas! Sounds scary. Anyone any info on it?

(9 Posts)
rattlesnake Wed 20-Sep-17 22:30:34

We are buying a house in an area which has a medium risk of radon 3% - 5%. According to estate agent it is nothing to worry about as most homes contain a little of it! I've googled though that a medium risk area should be tested for, this takes about 3 months though. The house was build it 1997...would it have had any radon protection built in with it being not that old I wonder? Anyone have any advice?

DelphiniumBlue Wed 20-Sep-17 22:32:17

You can raise this via your solicitors with the sellers solicitors - there may well have been precautions taken back then.

Spybot Wed 20-Sep-17 22:42:46

I have purchased a property that had higher than safe levels of the radon gas. I had a mitigation system installed at the sellers expense and thought no more of it. Radon is a heavy gas, heavier than air and thus affects the bottom floor of a house. This was my basement so had system there. They say that living with a higher than safe radon level is like smoking a pack of cigarettes a day, in terms of carcinogenic effects. This was in Massachusetts, there are higher levels of Radon there due to a lot of granite. I have since sold that house, with no problems.

Spybot Wed 20-Sep-17 22:44:32

Also, I had a radon test that took 48 hours, don't see why it should take longer but it was in a different country so maybe less labs for it there?

RandomlyGenerated Thu 21-Sep-17 08:04:08

Radon was well known by the 1980s and houses built after 1988 in Devon and Cornwall 1992 for Derbyshire, Northants and Somerset may well have reduction measures built in - most likely the basic level of protection, a radon proof membrane (doubt you would need full protection at that level, which would be a sump / underfloor venting). Ask your solicitor to check.

You can order the home measurement detectors from Public Health England - these are the ones that you leave in the house for 3 months then return for testing and they will advise if you need to do anything based on the results.

You can request a bond from the vendor in case of any remedial action required. Even if this is required it wouldn't be horrendously expensive.

Personally (and bearing in mind I did my engineering Masters dissertation on radon), I really wouldn't worry about it - the 3-5% level is still low.

rattlesnake Thu 21-Sep-17 09:21:05

Thanks Randomly..That's reassuring!

gingerhousecat Thu 21-Sep-17 19:30:37

You can call www.ukradon.org, we found them helpful

specialsubject Fri 22-Sep-17 09:31:35

Our nearest town is a radon area and my in laws were all brought up there. Only one head each.... More seriously, no cancer cluster.

Yes, anecdata, but it really is a tiny risk. The survey flags up a possibility.

BrandNewHouse Fri 22-Sep-17 10:18:57

We have just finished our testing. I think the units were there for about six weeks and we will get the results in another week or two.
(The testing is compulsory where we are).

The remediation measures are not so bad if they are necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now