Talk

Advanced search

Synthetic carpet recommendations please?

(10 Posts)
JumpingJoey Tue 19-Sep-17 10:23:36

Looking at Abingdon Berber elite aqa protech.
Does any one have any views on this carpet?
The rooms it will be going in are downstairs and we have a large dog that attracts water/mud so I thought the above would be suitable. We also live in the country so have gaggles of teenagers and also lots of moths (both species don't go well with nice wool mix ones that I would normally get).
It is 100% zylon polypropylene and Superbac secondary backing. It is going to be on Cloud9 contract underlay.

PigletJohn Tue 19-Sep-17 11:03:19

I am not a carpet expert, but Berber has a looped pile and animals get there claws caught in it. I believe a cut pile will be more suitable.

A "heather mix" has a mottled colouring and shows marks or wear less.

Polypropylene carpets keep their shape better if the have a "twist" pile, crimped to stand up.

JumpingJoey Tue 19-Sep-17 11:21:30

Thanks this doesn't have a looped pile bizarrely. We also have a cat and I know he'd think is was a scratching post! The threads sticking up seem to be in pairs twisted round each other. Is this what you mean?

PigletJohn Tue 19-Sep-17 12:41:27

yes, I think they twist two plies together with heat, so it sets to shape.

I thought all berbers were loop confused maybe knot.

JumpingJoey Tue 19-Sep-17 13:43:16

Oooo I think the loop is the other way round. I have just pulled one bit of yarn/thread and it comes out so the loop is U rather than n. Hmm not sure it would survive the cat.

guilty100 Tue 19-Sep-17 13:54:28

My local carpet store sells a range of polyprop carpets that are marketed as 'bleachable'! They don't look as bad as that sentence might suggest, either. I still wouldn't go for a light coloured one - just because it's cleanable doesn't mean you want to be constantly cleaning it!

My advice is to make sure you get one you really, really like because they last an age. grin

JumpingJoey Tue 19-Sep-17 14:02:56

Thanks yes trying to go mid tones so retriever hairs don't show too! Our local carpet shop doesn't seem to have much choice on synthetic. Noticed John Lewis have a synthetic one at over £80m2 so I am not sure how much to spend to ensure a good one.

guilty100 Tue 19-Sep-17 14:14:43

£80/metre? I'd expect it to be made of silver for that!! grin

I think it's still surprisingly hard to shop for carpets online - can you go into a large local independent shop instead? There is a huge range in my local one, and I am not sure all of the brands have much of a customer-focused web presence.

Roomba Tue 19-Sep-17 14:25:18

My local carpet store sells a range of polyprop carpets that are marketed as 'bleachable'!

I have a cheapish bleachable carpet from Carpetright as it was all I could afford. I have to say it has been absolutely fab and I've had it four years now. My kids are messy and have spilled various things on there that cleaned off fine, never had to actually use bleach on it (yet) though. It still feels great and looks as good as the day it arrived - I did buy the most expensive underlay though as it was on special offer so maybe that helps too.

guilty100 Tue 19-Sep-17 15:41:02

Underlay is SUCH a good investment.

Bit of a tangent, but when I ordered an engineered wood floor a couple of years ago, the standard underlay didn't arrive. I was cursing at the time, and had to buy some off ebay and get it rush delivered. However, I bought a really ecofriendly, very warm one and it has made such a difference compared to other underlay I have used. I would never go back to standard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now