Talk

Advanced search

Carpetright experiences

(20 Posts)
LagoDiComo Thu 24-Aug-17 22:30:16

Just curious about peoples' experience of Carpetright.

I found some carpets on their website which seemed OK; I arranged for someone to come in and measure as it's a stairway/hallway with lots of corners. The guy said we could either go to a branch to follow up and get a quote or the online team would send something through. I went to a branch and there was no record. The online team didn't get in touch until I'd called them twice. If this is them trying to sell me a carpet, I am concerned about how they'd be actually supplying and fitting the carpet...

wowfudge Thu 24-Aug-17 22:45:00

We've used them several times without issues but DP has always done the measuring up then we've gone in and ordered in store. The fitters are sub-contractors who you pay on the day of fitting. If you know what quantities you need buy the carpet, underlay and any accessories you need online and find a fitter. We've just done that and saved a couple of hundred pounds.

Briette Thu 24-Aug-17 23:37:03

I went to them when we got our floors sorted last and they were rubbish in a very similar way - couldn't get my name right at all to save their lives, didn't send samples on time, still failed to produce samples when chased, didn't seem to know their stock properly etc. I went with a local firm in the end instead and they were brilliant. Even gave me a load of free advice about other floor-related things and carpeted a random cupboard I forgot about with offcuts from the stairs at no extra charge.

LadyPenelopeCantDance Fri 25-Aug-17 08:14:20

Used them a few times and never had any problems. We managed to negotiate the price of the carpet down and supplied our own underlay that we sourced online but got them to fit it. Never pay full price from them though, always room for negotiation!

MiaowTheCat Fri 25-Aug-17 08:20:21

They were OK when we used them, fitters were a bit surly (considering we'd left the room totally clear for them, offered cups of tea and biscuits - we couldn't help the fact the room was a stupid shape with lots of corners that we'd mentioned when we booked the fitting) and then got stuck unable to reverse their little van out of our street (we get other fuck off huge bin lorries that can get out no problem)!

Borntoflyinfirst Fri 25-Aug-17 08:26:57

We got a quote from them for our living room. It's a large square so there has to be a join somewhere. They wanted to put it smack in the middle of the room. I know it's barely visible but still. We went to another branch who actually wanted to put two joins in and quoted a different price. Each said the other was wrong. We chose a local company. Join is hidden under the sofa, it was cheaper and their installation service was fab - moved furniture and even made a 'magic carpet' for the kids to sit on and watch so they weren't able to get hold of tools etc

GreenTulips Fri 25-Aug-17 08:30:20

Carpet right up the prices on underlay and fittings

I went local - they knew the size/layout of the house when I gave my address! They came measures up and brought sample books to see it out home.

Carpet was more expensive but we saved on fitting and underlay

horriblehistorieswench Fri 25-Aug-17 10:24:04

My only experience was about 10yrs ago when we tried to claim on house ins after DS knocked a cup of black coffee over himself & carpet, by time we made sure he wasn't scalded &calmed him down stain had well & truly set. Insurance told us we had to use Carpetright. They came, measured up said they could replace for £300 then cut out a corner for "matching". I actually think it was to cause more damage so that we couldn't just say "let's not bother we'll pop a rug down". Anyway they had nothing like the quality of carpet we needed replaced and after lots of negotiation with insurance we accepted £300 towards getting same carpet from original company. I have never used Carpetright or that Insurance co since

peppykoala Fri 25-Aug-17 10:31:34

Awful - similar experience with quotes but all in branch - first off didn't turn up to measure, then lots of 'the person measuring hasn't given us this' or 'the person in branch should be telling you this'. Got fed up of calling them to try and find out what the quote actually was and went with Tapi instead who were brilliant. Carpetright did call a month later to ask if I was going to accept their quote (which they had still never given me), I just laughed at them...

peppykoala Fri 25-Aug-17 10:33:36

Actually I'm wrong, Tapi was my other flooring - also went with a local company for the carpet in the end and they were just lovely.

RaininSummer Fri 25-Aug-17 10:38:19

Used them recently for hall, stair and Landing. Came and measured, gave me a rough quote as I didn't know what carpet I wanted. In store they had the records so ordered my carpet, got interest free credit. They kept it for six weeks so we could do floorboards and our own better cheaper underlay. Fitters were great. Painless really but do agree about cost of underlay and fittings.

Trollspoopglitter Fri 25-Aug-17 10:40:03

Salesmen were horrible - took two weeks and me chasing up to get a callback. They always have specials and try to tie you down on the day by putting in a deposit (I guess they guarantee a sale for themselves that way). Always check online against store prices, as sometimes it will be on sale online but not at the branch.

Despite all that, I've used them twice now in ten years. Still the best price/selection for what I was after, but I did do my own measuring up and the fitters, who are subcontractors, are always good, punctual, communicate well, etc. They're actually better than the company :-)

When we needed our stairs carpeted, however, we went with a local company who carried a specific brand we wanted and they measured up everything. They were miles better but also much more ££

plasticcheese Fri 25-Aug-17 11:17:40

Not a good experience here. They fitted it fine but the carpet on the stairs wore thin (on the uprights, not the actual steps) very quickly and they were a pita to deal with. Ended up sending an allegedly independent surveyor to check the carpet quality; he told us it was badly manufactured but Carpetright claimed his report said it was fine. They refused to show us the report but did end up replacing the carpet after I threatened to take things further. Will never use them again.

Lucisky Fri 25-Aug-17 11:23:42

I have mentioned them on here before. In short, their customer service is terrible. Once they've got your money they don't care and they never answer the phone. You are treated as a nuisance. We now use a local independent company who are much more professional.

LagoDiComo Sun 03-Sep-17 09:08:07

Thanks everyone! It's stairs, hall and landing which I struggled to measure but have now gone with a local company. I normally prefer online shopping but I think for carpets a local shop is better. My impression is that it's franchised and the branches and online operation aren't linked up for whatever business reason

DragonMamma Sun 03-Sep-17 12:06:44

I've just had quote from them and the underlay and ancillary bits are twice the price of what you can source yourself and the salesperson didn't like it when I asked if we could supply the underlay etc.

You can apparently but there's and 'admin fee' to cover what they will lose. Fiver says it will be the different in price anyway.

Anyway, we are buying some Invictus stuff online (that we've seen online) and the website can arrange for a local fitter.

Carpetright quoted £2k and this will come up £1k so a massive saving for a better carpet!

IrritatedUser1960 Sun 03-Sep-17 12:08:45

I've always called them carpetshite and refused to use them. There are far better local carpet companies.

Cleaver1 Wed 14-Feb-18 18:47:14

2 years ago we paid £2000 for carpet and underlay to be fitted in our home!
The carpet is now drastically coming away from the grippers, something that shouldn’t be happening!! We called in a independant fitter to come out and have a look due to its no longer in the 12 month guarantee warranty. The fitter informed us that the carpet had been cut to short which was the reason why it is coming away from the grippers. We also enquired why the carpet looks so flat, even though we spent a lot off money to have cloud 9 underlay!! Surprisingly he told us that the underlay Carpet Right fitted was the cheapest one they have! So we have been truly and utterly ripped off!!! I got in contact via phone call, email, letter and going into store but they continuously refused to help due to it not being in warranty. If the carpet and underlay was fitted correctly and with what was asked for this problem would not of occurred!!

harrietm87 Wed 14-Feb-18 18:53:41

@Cleaver1 the fact that you are now outside the warranty period is irrelevant. If Carpetright did not provide what you paid for they are in breach of contract and you are entitled to new underlay or the difference in price between what you paid for and what you got. You should be writing to them threatening to take them to the small claims court.

Cleaver1 Wed 14-Feb-18 19:00:57

Thank you for your reply! This is something I will definitely be looking into!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now