Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know about weathersheet fence panels - Pigletjohn maybe?

(11 Posts)
Undecidedexpat Mon 10-Jul-17 14:29:50

OK, I think I want these in my house but can't find a UK mainland supplier (I'm in Oxfordshire).

Can anyone tell me 1) whether they are just known by a different name here (struggling to find anything similar, except maybe Jacksons tongue and groove in horizontal) and 2) where I can get them? I need 6ft x 6ft panels.

Also, if they aren't stocked here, is there a reason (rather than just aesthetics)?

Thanks in advance.

Undecidedexpat Mon 10-Jul-17 20:24:57

Bumping for evening crowd. Pretty please wine

PigletJohn Mon 10-Jul-17 21:13:14

never seen them

I recently started renewing my fence with decking boards screwed to the face of the posts, it is a bit wasteful because standard lengths do not fit my post spacing. They are horizontal and very sturdy. It looks similar.

The ones in your pic might have a sort of tongue-and-groove to hide the gaps that opens up when the boards shrink in dry weather. That sort of board is used in the walls of "log cabins" under the Lillevilla name imported from Finland so I suppose are readily available in the country of origin. You could contact the importers in case they have a similar product. Or maybe they slide down slots in the posts so gravity hold them together.

If the boards are quite thick (I think mine are about 25mm) then the panels will be very heavy, unless they are made up on site from loose boards. It would be very difficult for an intruder to break through, but they could climb over. I get coastal gales and ordinary panels are too fragile. They would probably slide down the slots in concrete posts but I have not checked the measurements.

If you can find a local chippy or fencing contractor he could build you a fence without having to buy panels. In my case timber cost about £63 for a 6x6 section, it would be the same if they were 2400mm long and save wastage. At that price I recommend concrete posts and gravel board which you can paint to blend in. My fence is dark brown so I used Bitter Chocolate masonry paint.

Ordinary fence panels are very flimsy and I think poor value at about £20. Featheredge is about £36. My neighbour had a long fence built to order by fencing contractors, it was built on site, no panels. They did use air-powered nail guns.

Undecidedexpat Mon 10-Jul-17 21:26:59

That's great, thanks so much! I've had 2 landscape gardeners out and that's what I expected - and that they would be happy to do it. One quoted for featheredged, as that's all he does apparently, and another for panels. My DH thinks I'm being awkward and I'm close to caving and just going for any fence.

PigletJohn Mon 10-Jul-17 21:39:32

featheredge is much better than panels.

Undecidedexpat Mon 10-Jul-17 21:41:10

But it doesn't look as nice (in my opinion). I like your idea best though!

Undecidedexpat Wed 12-Jul-17 10:49:04

Ah, I've just looked and the next door neighbours garden has built up over the years so is a different height to ours. I guess that's why the bottom of the fence panels have crumbled as plants have pushed their way through. Does that mean I should just go for featheredge fencing as it will last longer? Gah, I hate practicalities which mean you can't have what you love!

PigletJohn Wed 12-Jul-17 11:41:51

Use concrete gravel boards which will not rot and are heavier and stronger. All wood will rot if in ground contact.

You can paint them dark brown (pref before fitting) if you want

Mine are slightly sunk into the ground which prevents most weeds and animals getting through.

Undecidedexpat Wed 12-Jul-17 15:35:29

Thanks so much!

Andtheresaw Wed 12-Jul-17 15:49:45

...just to add to the confusion.....
colourfence. We couldn't find the wooden fencing we wanted so have gone for metal fencing instead: 25 year guarantee.
It takes an age to come from Australia after you've ordered so can't comment on our yet, the there's one round the corner which looks fab even 6 years on.

Andtheresaw Wed 12-Jul-17 15:52:50

try again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now