Talk

Advanced search

Hipped roof at the front of the house, gable at the back - does it look odd?

(20 Posts)
bobkate Tue 04-Jul-17 10:11:39

We're starting to think about extending and wanted to maximise roof space as we think we'll possibly do a loft conversion in the future.
The architect drew us a second floor plan, with a huge dormer that just looks really ugly. We don't need it as a massive space ( just thinking an extra hang out space for teenagers would be good/occasional bedroom ) so wondered if we just changed the rear roof line from a hip to gable.
I have tried to find images of house where the front and sides are hipped and the rear gable but not having much luck. I can't work out if it'll look odd to the point of annoying us, or it'd look okay. No other houses like ours in the road, so I can't even compare with neighbours.

whatsthecomingoverthehill Tue 04-Jul-17 11:58:30

I'm not sure what you mean to be honest. In time honoured tradition could you do a diagram?? grin

I'm not a fan of big flat roofed dormers though. I think they look really ugly. Much nicer to have say a couple of pitched roof dormers, but that doesn't give as much usable space.

bobkate Tue 04-Jul-17 12:15:08

Ah - forgot the diagram! So it would mean that from the front road, our house would look the same, but from the back it would still have the 'triangle' face of the roof - it would just be straight up, as opposed to sloped away.
So the left sketch shows a hipped roof all the way around, the middle sketch shows hipped at the front, gable at the rear, right sketch would be how back would look.
I found this photo on google.... if you were to remove the side and glass extension completely I suppose this is what the side of our house would look similar to - only maybe a little longer.
Does that make much sense at all??!

bobkate Tue 04-Jul-17 12:19:59

I suppose it would look a little like this from the side. ..although I guess we wouldn't really see the side view much... I can't work out if it looks really odd or not.

whatsthecomingoverthehill Tue 04-Jul-17 13:41:59

What's confusing me is saying a gable at the back but not the front. Normally a gable would look the same from front and back. I've attached a sketch wot I did, showing what I think your architect has done and what you are thinking of. Is that anything like?

bobkate Tue 04-Jul-17 14:03:47

Yes, sorry. I'm never very good at explaining myself.
So basically the front of the house would remain the same, but where we're extending the first floor (at the rear of the house) by a few metres, we were wondering if changing the roof at the rear of the property to a gable end, instead of a hipped end, would be a good idea for any future loft conversion plan - given that I don't really like massive dormers.

whatsthecomingoverthehill Tue 04-Jul-17 14:10:28

OK...but your picture of the gable shows it looking the same from the front. You can't really change it at the back without changing how it looks at the front too!

If all you are asking is can you change your current hipped roof to a gable ended one, as shown on that latest picture, then the answer is yes. It means you get a bigger area of the higher headroom area in the loft. But it can be a relatively big job, and I would guess more expensive than putting a dormer in. I'm with you on it looking better though.

bobkate Tue 04-Jul-17 14:39:58

I think my diagram skills leave a lot to be desired shock - I think I'll have another go later one!!!

bobkate Tue 04-Jul-17 14:54:54

And my written skills...later on, not one!

I think in my original drawing I didn't make it clear that I was drawing it from a side perspective.
Labelling it the front of the house was a bit confusing. ( I meant the left hand side of the sketch was the front end of the house, the right hand side of each sketch was the rear of the property )

Does this diagram make any more sense?!

whatsthecomingoverthehill Tue 04-Jul-17 15:05:14

I think I've got it! Basically you want a gable dormer on the back of the house. So when viewed from the top the ridge makes an L-shape. My sketch doesn't show a back extension, but it's exactly the same principle, just the dormer section extending over the extension.

The sort of thing you have to be careful of though is that it does depend on the size and shape of everything as to whether it works out nicely or not. Chances are you will end up with a flat roofed bit, unless you can design it to avoid that (but that might mean losing some space from your extension etc).

If you're googling for pictures, try "cross gable roof" or "cross hipped roof".

whatsthecomingoverthehill Tue 04-Jul-17 15:09:09

Oh is it a detached house too? I was getting confused with which bit was the front or side.

If all you are doing is extending the roof back then you can just stretch what you have now and keep a gable on the back, or yes if you want to have potential for more room in the loft in the future then making it a gable is a good idea.

YorkshireTea86 Tue 04-Jul-17 15:10:36

So has your architect done a former coming out of the hopped roof you currently have? Is there a planning restriction that would lead him to do this rather than the gable end you want?

bobkate Tue 04-Jul-17 15:16:11

Sorry - yes it is a detached. I have properly confused the whole explanation!!! Sorry! So I think you're last paragraph is what I was trying, very badly, to explain!
Viewing from above it would make a y shape...
Bet that's made your afternoon - trying to made heads or tails of some silly bat's explanations!!

whatsthecomingoverthehill Tue 04-Jul-17 15:25:21

Haha, a good puzzle for a slow afternoon! So at the moment it's almost like looking at a pair of semi-detached houses with hipped roofs, but the side is the front?

I'm still not sure what sort of dormer the architect proposed!

Joinourclub Tue 04-Jul-17 15:28:43

I don't see why it would look odd. Like you say, you probably wouldn't spend much time looking at your house side on. Hip to gables are pretty common , but usually on the sides of Semi's I suppose.

crashandburnt Tue 04-Jul-17 19:52:54

Looks expensive I would say as you are completely changing the roof line. Much more attractive though.

bobkate Tue 04-Jul-17 22:14:19

joinourclub - yes, after a while pondering this, I did then think well we don't really see the sides so I think this is the best option. crash - as we're having a first floor extension, the roof line will have to be extended anyway so we're expecting a fair whack to go on that.
what'sthecoming thanks for letting me waffle on and actually responding to my drivel!!!

wonkylegs Tue 04-Jul-17 22:36:13

I'm an architect and am doing an extension at the moment which makes the rear a gable with a hip on the front. It looks good and gives us the space inside that we want and a good rear elevation (open to rafters inside with a glazed gable)

It may depend on how shallow the hip is as to whether or not it works though. The one we are doing is quite steep. It will also depend on exactly how you do it, not all hip to gable conversions are a success and most of it comes down to the detailing.

bobkate Tue 04-Jul-17 22:45:36

Thank you wonky I love the glazed gable end look but as we're not really concentrating on the loft at this stage - that will remain on my pinterest wish list! I just wanted to make sure we had the right roof in place for when we do have the funds to do the conversion of the loft - if that makes sense.

bobkate Tue 04-Jul-17 22:53:57

This first photo is just fabulous I think - but realistically we'd never do this as I don't think our view would warrant the cost but I'd be chuffed if we could end up with something like the second photo ( only with velux windows rather than the dormers ).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now