Talk

Advanced search

Boiling water taps...Any good?

(15 Posts)
Noodlebugs1981 Mon 03-Jul-17 14:13:49

In the process of a kitchen renovation and I'm contemplating a boiling water tap. I've seen some that heat water to boiling point and others to 98 degrees. Would there be a difference in taste of a cuppa? Any good brands that people have used? Do you know of any child proof taps too? Budget is up to £700. Many thanks!!!

Dadsussex Mon 03-Jul-17 19:42:55

Grohe (spelling?) is the one we have, it's a normal tap and boiling in one, with a single spout etc, lovely unit and easy to use. Was about £600 ish I think off the top of my head about 12 months ago.

Personally makes perfect drinks etc and I'd always have one in every house from herein onwards - I've heard people with a boiling tap say it's not quite the same with some teas, I have mint tea and I find no difference at all

As far as I know they all have some kind of child safety device / prevention device - however at the end of the day it's no different to a kettle and a child needs to know it's boiling water etc etc.

We have had no child issues with ours but made sure from day one that the kids knew the boundaries

FairyPenguin Mon 03-Jul-17 19:49:22

We have an Insinkerator one which has a boiling water tap and a filtered cold water tap. The boiling water one can't be locked but the water only comes out while you're pressing on it. The cold water one can be pressed down all the way and then be on like a normal tap until you switch it off.

At work we have a different make which does have a child lock on it so they have to know to press and hold but I think it's pretty unreliable (and also much more expensive).

snowgirl1 Mon 03-Jul-17 19:51:13

I love our boiling tap! I would definitely get a 100 degree one...unless you like turning your kettle off 1 minute before it boils? We got an Itho tap - can't remember exactly how much it was but it was in the 600-700 range - does boiling, hot & cold and filtered. As PP said, I think they all have safety measures.

try2hard Mon 03-Jul-17 21:38:03

We have them at work. I hate them because I forget it is boiling and always wash my cup underneath it and scald myself. I'd also hate to lose a cupboard for it

bouncydog Mon 03-Jul-17 22:12:21

We have a franke omni 4 in 1. Boiling 100 degrees, filtered cold and normal hot and cold. Boiler is smaller too. Wouldn't be without it now.

deecrepid Mon 03-Jul-17 22:20:43

I have a Quooker. It is brilliant. Not only for instant hot drinks but brilliant for pasta, stock, cooking veg etc etc. It fits neatly in the cupboard under the sink and I do not begrudge an inch it takes up.
If it failed I would replace it instantly.

Pradaqueen Tue 04-Jul-17 03:01:57

Another vote for quooker here. Very safe for children and is a BP tap.

Tubbyinthehottub Tue 04-Jul-17 16:52:19

I've got a Quooker 3 in 1 and I love it. A child couldn't easily turn it on as you have to do a click click twist motion. It is proper 100 degrees boiling and it cost £850, which I think was the trade price from a kitchen supplies shop. They just offered that price, I didn't ask.
The one at work isn't 100 degrees and it makes rubbish tea so I have to boil the kettle.

HomeExtender Tue 04-Jul-17 17:48:39

Tubbyinthehottub did you buy a kitchen as well? That's a great price for a fusion Quooker!

Lizzylou Tue 04-Jul-17 17:57:08

Another vote for Quooker, don't even know what type it is but it is a new model (only did kitchen last year), would be difficult for a child to use and has totally replaced our kettle.

ShortLass Tue 04-Jul-17 18:29:14

So pleased everyone's raving about these as I have bought one for my new kitchen. I await it being plumbed in. It was Too Much Money (tm), so I am a bit embarrassed at the expense.

I got the Franke 4 in 1 because I wanted a water filter, plus boiling water, hot & cold. It was more than £600 blush

Tubbyinthehottub Tue 04-Jul-17 18:58:10

HomeExtender no, we bought our kitchen elsewhere! We went in to look at boiling water taps in action as advised by our kitchen shop but it was super posh (think footballer kitchens) and the guy just offered the price from his catalogue, no questions! smile

snowgirl1 Tue 04-Jul-17 19:34:46

The boiler for our Itho boiling tap sits under the kickboard, so you don't lose any cupboard space at all :-)

zombiesarecoming Tue 04-Jul-17 22:40:37

Yet another vote here for Quooker

Had ours for about 8 years now and wouldn't hesitate to get another

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now