Talk

Advanced search

How long until you have to respond to raised enquiries? Frustrating Chain!

(9 Posts)
user1491257583 Fri 30-Jun-17 12:39:46

We are currently in the process of selling our shared ownership flat (so leasehold) and buying a house (freehold). It is a really short chain, FTB buying our property, we are buying from a vendor who is then buying a another property which is empty and chain free.

From my buyers side and from my side, we are ready to exchange and complete, however, I cannot complete on my house as the vendors associated purchase is really behind despite us all starting legal proceedings at the same time. I have been told that the sellers of the associated purchase have not responded to the enquiries raised despite them being submitted a month ago. I have had the estate agent and solicitors chasing daily but there has been no movement. This chain was meant to be straight forward and fast but it has been almost 4 months so far with everything done and ready to go for about a month on mine and my buyers side.

My buyers are being evicted in a few days from their privately rented accommodation (landlord is selling) and i am now feeling really anxious about everything. I have put to the vendor of the house that as the hold up is on his end, to break the chain and sell to us as planned and that he should find temporary accommodation until his purchase goes through. Could you give me some advice please on the following:

1. These enquiries were submitted about a month ago and the vendors solicitor has had no responses yet. How long until they HAVE to reply or do they not have a legal requirement to respond in a reasonable time frame?
2. The vendor of the house I am buying may request to rent the place he is buying whilst the sale goes through. I understand that they have to apply for some sort of rental license however to do this. How long does it take for one of these to be granted if it is agreed?

If anyone has had a similar experience please let me know!

wowfudge Fri 30-Jun-17 13:13:38

There is no time limit. They can choose not to respond at all. I suggest you ask your solicitor to find out whether the other solicitor has actually had contact with the other vendor and, if not, can they establish their position by X date and time. Sounds to me as though there is an issue of they are away.

I'm a bit confused as to who is where in the chain but the people being evicted can stay until they are actually evicted by court order or high court bailiffs so if it is just that the LL's notice period is expiring, they don't have to go.

As for your vendor, that could be relatively quick. Best to ask your solicitor's view on that. But all this is academic if the chain is broken further down.

wowfudge Fri 30-Jun-17 13:14:03

Or they are away

specialsubject Fri 30-Jun-17 13:17:27

Your buyers aren't your problem and as noted, they don't have to leave before bailiffs.

Sounds like you have pissers about above you, I'm afraid. You have no power over them. You could break the chain by going into rental, that is the only thing you have the power to do. Sorry.

Spickle Fri 30-Jun-17 13:18:14

Out of interest, could your vendors possibly be waiting for a grant of probate to be issued on the empty property?

user1491257583 Fri 30-Jun-17 15:09:44

I believe my vendors solicitor has had contact however, they are being vague about when they will provide responses to enquiries.

Sorry there are 3 properties in the chain and I am pretty much at the base. First time buyers are buy in my flat- I am buying a house- the vendor of that house is then buying another property (an associated purchase) which is the end of the chain. That property is empty.

user1491257583 Fri 30-Jun-17 15:12:38

Sickle I don't believe they are. I have enquired about the hold up several times and it hasn't been mentioned It just seems that the selling isn't really their priority at the moment.

cliffdiver Fri 30-Jun-17 15:15:56

I deal with sale enquiries as part of my job.

We aim to complete enquiries within 5 working days of payment being received.

I don't know if there is any legal timeframe though.

Heartoverheadhouse Fri 30-Jun-17 19:00:03

Why is property empty? If owner abroad or unwell, or possibly losing capacity in a home this may be the issue. I'd be getting your estate agents to get the estate agent of the top of the chain to find out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now