Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Doors for an arch?

(3 Posts)
DoneInn Tue 27-Jun-17 15:57:12

Our dining room has an arched entrance from the hall. We've lived here a long time and this has suited us in the past as the room is dark and this maximises natural light. However I want to change the room into a second living room and feel I want some kind of doors.
It's similar to the sort of archway you might get in a through lounge though it was built like this.
Any bright ideas? I was thinking maybe folding glass doors?

engineersthumb Tue 27-Jun-17 21:40:09

How wide is the opening? A joiner can make any shaped door you need (in fact it's in the realm of a diy job if you have the basics). A joinery can make an arched frame easily. If I were making a bow top I would probably laminate it out of multi lays around a former. It may be cheaper in mdf as it's a very regular uniform material, natural timber doesn't behave uniformly so can be more difficult without a full press.
Alternatively you could go with saloon doors or if you have the height build a plug under the arch and form a standard square frame in the opening. Hope some of that helps

DoneInn Wed 28-Jun-17 15:25:46

Thanks engineer. No DIY here I'm afraid. It's quite low (it's a barn conversion/ cottage with low ceilings. It's 1.5m wide so probably non standard.
Sounds doable by a joiner though.
Finding a joiner will be the biggest challenge.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now