Talk

Advanced search

Removal costs - hugely different quotes

(8 Posts)
Loueytb3 Mon 26-Jun-17 21:46:12

If you've moved house recently, particularly if you are in London/SE - how much did it cost?

We are in a 4 bed detached, quite a lot of stuff. Will need 2 vans. Likely to take 3 days. But we've had quotes which are massively different.

1) Respected company, have used before £4200
2) Local company, have used before £3500
3) Company in county we are moving to (Herts) who our neighbours used recently £1400

Packing was around £500 on top for all 3 companies.

I am tempted to get a 4th quote, as I am wondering if company no 3 is a little too cheap. They are based out of London, but Herts is not cheap so we weren't expecting them to be that much cheaper.

drquin Mon 26-Jun-17 22:09:20

I'm not in the area, and not moving, so no direct experience.

So first obvious question would be - are they quoting on exactly the same basis? Even if not exactly the same, you're going to have a variation before you start.

Loueytb3 Mon 26-Jun-17 22:28:27

I think so, they have all included the costs of dismantling and reassembling 3 bunkbeds.

The one thing I do need to check is what level of
insurance is covered.

ilovevenice Mon 26-Jun-17 22:32:08

Do they all include the loft? We used two different companies when we did two moves close together - the first refused to do the loft as we only had a ladder rather than stairs (hence why we changed companies!). Would affect the price obviously.

ilovevenice Mon 26-Jun-17 22:32:33

If you have a lift obviously smile

ilovevenice Mon 26-Jun-17 22:33:01

Loft grin

TuttiFruttiCutie Mon 26-Jun-17 22:37:20

We are in 4 bed semi over 3 floors. Essex/Herts border. We are not hoarders but have too much 'stuff' to attempt moving ourselves. We have been quoted a range of £750- £1000- includes boxes and insurances, this is for 2 Luton sized vans. We have decided to pack and dismantle to save on cost. We are however only moving 2 miles down the road.

Loueytb3 Mon 26-Jun-17 22:37:26

We are getting the stuff down from the loft, so all quotes have assumed they don't need to go up there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now