Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for where to get dd a new bed

(31 Posts)
Reastie Mon 26-Jun-17 11:12:14

We are looking to get dd a new single bed with storage drawers underneath. Not divan type.

I'm googling but it's all the same old sites like dreams, very etc coming up. Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations for where to go? I am coveting this bed from loaf as the drawers look brill and it's nice and pretty but it seems quite expensive.

EssentialHummus Mon 26-Jun-17 11:25:31

Wow that's pricey! Ikea? They have a really wide range and I think are much cheaper.

ColourfulOrangex Mon 26-Jun-17 11:26:14

Ebay? Amazon?

Reastie Mon 26-Jun-17 11:30:02

For some reason I just don't trust amazon, I suppose I can't get a feel for what it looks like irl and amazon stuff can vary so much in quality. Have just been looking now on eBay!

I thought with ikea beds you were always stuck to have to have an IKEA mattress as they are a different to standard size?

CrazedZombie Mon 26-Jun-17 11:30:53

Ikea aren't continental sized any more.

accidentalgrownup Mon 26-Jun-17 12:27:04

M&S, little White company, John Lewis?

We've had a cot bed with storage from m&s which is nice & sturdy plus they deliver & put together.

I'd steer clear of next, look nice but the majority of the time poor materials.

Would also suggest a local independent for mattresses rather than getting one from a chain store.

Reastie Mon 26-Jun-17 12:30:32

Thank you. We have a local independent we aren't planning to head to for the mattress.

I've looked at John Lewis but it's the storage drawers that are causing the problem as so few have that as an option. Will look at m and s and LWC.

Nothing at ikea is jumping out at me.

emsyj37 Mon 26-Jun-17 12:41:28

Great Little Trading Co? There is a Facebook page where you can buy seconds and cancelled orders at good discounts called Gorgeous Little Things for Children - I have used it and they will source specific items if you want, altho sometimes there may be a wait. The storage beds on there look good altho more cabin bed style than the one you posted.
My DD has a butterfly cut-out bed from Tesco that you can buy a wheeled storage drawer for. Will see if I can find a pic...

emsyj37 Mon 26-Jun-17 12:43:27

This one

Reastie Mon 26-Jun-17 13:58:42

Dd would love that butterfly bed! Only thing is we're trying to get her one a bit less child like so she can grow into it, but the price of the one I've found maybe it'll work out cheaper to get another in a few years!

DerelictWreck Mon 26-Jun-17 14:02:25

all these look lovely to me?

Reastie Mon 26-Jun-17 14:14:27

They do but sadly I don't want a bed with sides or a high footboard as it'll make the room seem smaller. There are some maybes there I'm just trying to talk myself out of the stressful trek to ikea

I've found a couple of possibles on gumtree and have contacted them. One looks perfect <crosses fingers>

Cacofonix Mon 26-Jun-17 17:08:09

this?

DerelictWreck Mon 26-Jun-17 17:20:21

That's fair, they might make the room look smaller, I agree. What about this from Argos? Be easy to change the storage as she get's older too?

ColourfulOrangex Mon 26-Jun-17 18:13:11

I know it's not drawers but I got my son (6) a single ottoman bed, it's so handy to be able to put things under it, it has freed up so much space in his room and it is easy enough to get things when needed

BewareOfTheToddler Mon 26-Jun-17 18:45:30

Look at Taurus Beds. They only make wooden beds (in various finishes) and matching furniture. They also do drawers for under beds and will custom-make you what you want!

Our bedroom furniture looks pretty much as good as when we bought it ten years ago (would be perfect if we were cat-free grin) and we're about to furnish our spare room with their stuff. Not sure how they compare on price - they're not the cheapest but not the most expensive and they are definitely good quality.

Reastie Mon 26-Jun-17 18:54:41

Beware thanks for that link. None of the beds jump out but the under drawer thing looks good so may buy that to go with another bed.

Colour interesting about ottoman, I hadn't really considered them as I thought it might be a bit tricky for dd to lift as we are keeping her toys under the bed (and I'm a bit worried it might somehow trap her inside).

Caco I had forgotten about feather and black, thank you

Derelict nice link, thanks, I'm trying to avoid cabin type beds though and just have basic drawer(s) under, if possible seperate to the bed frame so if they break we can get new ones without getting a whole new bed.

ColourfulOrangex Mon 26-Jun-17 18:58:51

Hasn't trapped my son just yet wink I was a little bit concerned about him being able to do it but we got a side lift one and he seems to manage oki and he's only small for his age, he loves that he has his "secret" space for his toys and I figured it will last him for a good while as it is a leather effect one in white

Misty9 Mon 26-Jun-17 21:40:34

I'm also looking for a bed for dd and happy beds keeps coming up on searches. this looks nice

chalkyc2 Mon 26-Jun-17 22:23:31

We have cabin beds from aspace - they've been good...

StorminaBcup Mon 26-Jun-17 22:27:46

We've just bought our ds's from Stompa. They have a range at John Lewis. Stompa delivery men turned up and assembled the bed in 30 minutes. It's great quality, fair price and really comfy. I'd definitely buy from them again.

TuttiFruttiCutie Mon 26-Jun-17 22:46:25

Next have nice children's beds.

MoonlightandMusic Mon 26-Jun-17 22:46:55

Well, they do come with footboards and are relatively plain but, Flexa is worth a look as you can essentially 'build' the bed to spec without being too costly but quality is good. Drawers and trundles can be bought separately too.

SPARKLYSTARSHINESBRIGHT Mon 26-Jun-17 23:14:57

I was going to recommend ottoman beds, after having cabin beds,wooden frame beds, divan etc. My kids all have ottoman beds, you can get so much storage in them and no dust under the bed :-)

drummergirl34 Tue 27-Jun-17 06:04:37

a few curveballs - what about your local carboot market? look in local facebook groups and the back of your local newspaper. supermarkets also have little noticeboards.

Just a few locations I've seen children's beds advertised!

I think you could go to a local chippy and have them build a custom bed cheaper than what loaf are selling them for!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now