Talk

Advanced search

Would this be cheeky?

(12 Posts)
BewareOfTheToddler Mon 26-Jun-17 07:24:07

We've just exchanged on a house but have nearly a month before completion. We weren't going to ask for a pre-completion viewing, partly so as not to inconvenience the vendors, but there are a couple of measurements we could really do with.

Basically, we need to know what size fridge freezer to buy, as it will have to fit in an alcove. It would also be really helpful to know the dimensions of another alcove upstairs, to pre-order some bedroom furniture.

As a vendor, would you think asking for two sets of measurements was cheeky? I know I wouldn't mind, and would prefer it to having to tidy for yet another viewing, but am concerned it might not be the done thing. Thoughts?

TittyGolightly Mon 26-Jun-17 07:24:44

Not at all.

Ifailed Mon 26-Jun-17 07:26:53

Not at all, in fact I would find it reassuring that my buyer is making plans for moving and not going to pull out at the last minute!

Tobuyornot99 Mon 26-Jun-17 07:28:53

That's fine, my buyer asked for all sorts of measurements, infinitely preferable to them asking to come round again when in the process of packing etc

Bluntness100 Mon 26-Jun-17 07:28:54

I'd go for another viewing and measure up myself, if fact we did just that. Tell them not to bother tidying you just want to measure up, And when there you can discuss all the important stuff like where is the stop cock etc and think about where you wish to put stuff.

JT05 Mon 26-Jun-17 07:30:24

You sound very reasonable. I would expect a measuring up viewing. Our recent purchaser couldn't keep away and had about 10 viewings with family members! Drove me mad, but DH said it showed how much she loved the house!

BewareOfTheToddler Mon 26-Jun-17 07:34:33

Thank you - glad you don't think it's cheeky! We did wonder about asking to be shown the stop cock, etc, but we're not local. Also, they've been ok but not the greatest - got very huffy when we negotiated on price post-survey (two major things we weren't expecting, one of which was structural) and also tried to make quite a lot of money from fixtures and fittings (£500 for a hall carpet, anyone?), so not mad keen to meet them in person!

Would it be daft not to visit pre-completion? We could just about do it but had originally thought we'd leave it.

BangkokBlues Mon 26-Jun-17 07:45:41

Not cheeky at all.

dandeliondelilah Mon 26-Jun-17 08:10:59

Not at all cheeky - but if you buy a fridge freezer on the trust of their measurements, you'll be peeved if it doesn't fit! I would want to take responsibility for my own measuring, ideally.

Bluntness100 Mon 26-Jun-17 08:14:48

Ah, what you mention is just normal negotiating. It's done and dusted now. I'd do the visit. It's fine not to, but it is helpful. As you look at it with a different eye.

We did it when ours was middle of packing, they said sure just take us as you find us and we just wandered round doing what we needed to do and we took them some chocolates. It was all good and worth the visit.

user1495915742 Mon 26-Jun-17 08:19:39

No, not at all. The couple who bought my parents' house visited numerous times with builders and architects. The house is unrecognisable now. sad

MollyHuaCha Mon 26-Jun-17 08:37:17

I wouldn't trust their measurements as they might not allow for skirting boards, sloping walls, wall sockets and pipes sticking out etc. Do it in person! No I wouldn't pay £500 for a single used and worn carpet either.

Enjoy your plans and good luck with the move. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: