Talk

Advanced search

New Bathroom! For Edwardian house

(7 Posts)
MrsMozart Sat 24-Jun-17 18:17:26

Am finally going to bite the bullet!

Large-ish bathroom in Edwardian house. Currently has a larger than average shower base with tiled surround and double curtains. I hate it. Never use it if I can help it.

Bath we had put in some years ago. It's a large and comfy double-ended one, with taps in the middle of the wall long side. However it's seen better days, i.e. people keep dropping things and it's dented.

The washbasin and loo are both at least twenty years old. Both are okay, although the ceramic edge of the loo has a small chip, and I'm happy for them to go.

I'd like to take out half the airing cupboard as there's enough space in the end section that also houses the combi boiler, make the shower one of the longer 'walk-in' type, have a free standing bath (with the obligatory feet!), towel radiator thingy, and the walls, which are half tiled, changed to half-height wood panelling.

We have a lovely plumber who will come plumb, but where do I find all this wonderous stuff, without making my Bank Manager either cry or track me down with a machine gun?

As I have no patience whatsoever, I will of course start pulling tiles off the shower walls tomorrow as that will make me very happy grin

Intransige Sat 24-Jun-17 18:23:31

Watching with interest as I'm planning a bathroom refit too!

My research so far:
- Bristan taps are worth the money, cheap taps break
- buy spare valves for the taps when you buy them as they don't use washers any more and the valves aren't standard sizes
- you need to sit in a bath before you buy it as many are very uncomfortable
- you can have baths re-enamelled and taps re-chromed for not a lot of money if you like the ones you have
- cheap acrylic baths are awful (we have two in our current house) but higher end resin baths are rather lovely

SchnitzelVonKrumm Sat 24-Jun-17 18:32:15

We have Bristan taps, as recommended by Mumsnet legend Piglet John. Not cheap but good quality and not as expensive as some brands (and shop around). Sit in the baths to try them out. Go for a vanity unit if you've got space and think generally about storage. Plumbers merchants should be your first port of call if there's one nearby.

SchnitzelVonKrumm Sat 24-Jun-17 18:33:42

I wanted a freestanding bath but they're not very comfy - went for a steel one instead.

MrsMozart Sat 24-Jun-17 19:05:44

Ooh, thank you folks.

All very valid points. Good thinking re. the taps as I'd have just gone with 'pretty ones'! And the spare valve idea, excellent smile

I know there's a bathroom place not too far away - Porcelenosa(sp?). Will go looksee and have a sit in a few.

mintbiscuit Sat 24-Jun-17 19:31:08

Oo, keep us updated with progress and pics. We have recently bought Victorian property with fairly large bathroom that I want to renovate in Victorian style. It still has original art deco style suite and tiles in from 1940's (unfortunately sounds better than it looks) and itching to rip it out!

MrsMozart Sat 24-Jun-17 19:33:54

Will do!

I've already started... grin

The shower curtains are down, the wee shelf thing is out, shampoos etc are moved, and tomorrow the airing cupboard will be emptied. Can't wait!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now