Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Vendors left full bin and council won't take it

(19 Posts)
shoesaregood Fri 23-Jun-17 15:32:39

We've just moved into a new house and the vendors have taken 2 out of three wheelie bins and left the other full.

It's full of general rubbish and the council won't take it as it's the food waste coloured bin, not the general rubbish coloured bin. It absolutely stinks and is surrounded by flies sad

At this point I want the whole thing gone as I'm certain it's full of maggots. How on earth can I get rid of it? Just can't believe the vendors would do this angry

SoapyChoc Fri 23-Jun-17 15:35:34

We had a load of car batteries, random chemicals and rubbish left in the garden when we bought our house. It took a few phone calls to the Estate Agent with the last one where they sent an email saying we would be contacting our solicitor for the sellers to come and collect and get rid. Could you try calling the Estate Agent to ask them to contact them?

shoesaregood Fri 23-Jun-17 15:45:32

Already done SoapyChoc - they've flatly denied that a) they took the bins and b) they left one completely full. Sadly just our word against theirs. Only realised today when I put it out that they've filled it with general rubbish (and plants) so the council won't collect it.....when we moved in I quickly opened it and closed it again when I saw it was full.

I'm just so horrified by the smell and the flies sad

Out2pasture Fri 23-Jun-17 15:54:34

My daughter had this happen as well. I did a google search for garbage removal and called. Cash only 60 gbp. Two fellows showed up no questions asked.
I called the council and sorted out the issue of why they werent picking up the recycle in our case....

wowfudge Fri 23-Jun-17 16:07:56

Tell the council you are missing two bins and ask for replacements. Explain you have just moved to the property. They should provide new ones for you - ours did. As for the full bin, I'm afraid you are going to have to decant everything into the correct bin or bag it and take it to the tip.

ShyTallSun Fri 23-Jun-17 16:10:31

Are there any near neighbours who might let you empty it into their bin? If stinky, could you empty it all into a bin bag first?

The folks we bought from took the food bin with them.....council charged £5 to replace it! Hope you wont be charged for the wheelie bins.

m0therofdragons Fri 23-Jun-17 16:11:28

Council will replace bins. I imagine most people will leave full bins when moving as by its nature you find lots of stuff to chuck when you move and despite dh going on 6 trips to the tip our bin is full. We still have a week until collection. We're currently sorting before our move but move waste plus 3 dc means our bin is usually full despite lots of recycling.

BangkokBlues Fri 23-Jun-17 16:12:17

Can you just get it into strong refuse sacks and take to the tip? Its a bit annoying but better than having it festering.

shoesaregood Fri 23-Jun-17 16:23:35

Unfortunately our council charge £50 per bin 😡 I understand leaving a full bin, it's the fact that it's all mixed rubbish in the wrong bin so that the council won't take that's made me so cross!

The smell really is vile, apparently they moved out three weeks ago - before we completed, so its been festering all that time and I really, really don't want it in the car (though depending on how much the services I've found are charging, I may have to!) urrrrrghhhhh!!!!

NoSquirrels Fri 23-Jun-17 16:33:38

We moved into a rental when DC1 was 6 months. The bins were in a communal place, and someone or several people had filled recycling bin with mixed rubbish, shitty nappies (unbagged) and decomposing food. It was awful.

I ended up with DC1 sat in a bumbo seat watching me as I wore huge rubber gloves and a decorators mask decanting the contents into strong black bags and then putting them into the correct bin. It was .... unpleasant to day the least. BUT I discovered that the 'snap' you make when you shake out a black bin bag to open it made the baby full-on belly laugh for the first time, which was an unexpected highlight and makes me think more fondly of the experience grin

I also put the bins in our back garden rather than the bin store when I was done. Sympathies, OP - some people are just horrible!

HundredMilesAnHour Fri 23-Jun-17 16:38:56

Maybe it wasn't the sellers who left the full bin (or took the other two bins). It could be the neighbours taking advantage of the property being empty for a few weeks. Bins do seem to bring out the worst in people.

wowfudge Fri 23-Jun-17 16:40:06

Really - the council charge for bins when you don't have them but need them?

shoesaregood Fri 23-Jun-17 16:52:41

Ours certainly do wowfudge (in surrey) my pleas fell on very unsympathetic ears.

Hundred....given the state of the rest of the place, I'm inclined to think it was the less than lovely vendors.

Still......the house will be beautiful when it's finished and this will all be a distant memory (hopefully)

Newjob12345 Fri 23-Jun-17 16:55:31

Are there any public rubbish bins near you? Get your magnolias on, bag it up in to carrier bags and chuck them in there if so. Bit of a long way to do it but it would save you money.

QuackDuckQuack Fri 23-Jun-17 17:01:00

Did the vendors move within the same council? I can't think of any other reason to steal your bins as they are generally labelled for that council, so wouldn't be collected elsewhere. Perhaps you could pop round and steal them back.

No idea about what to do with the bin that's full.

It all sounds very expensive.

FrogFairy Fri 23-Jun-17 21:23:59

Bloody hell. You can understand why there is so much fly tipping.

specialsubject Sat 24-Jun-17 09:35:00

Catch the bin men on landfill waste day, explain the problem and ask politely. For one wrong coloured bin they are likely to just tip it into the truck.

Worked when cleaning out a rental, both bins full of skank. For the beyond description furniture, we did have to pay for collection.

The council should replace the bins. Who takes the bins when they move??

PickyParent Sat 24-Jun-17 10:11:53

I second the idea of grabbing the bin men on landfill waste bin day. Maybe a case of beer would help? We left them a box of Stella when we moved in, alongside a mountain of cardboard from all our furniture and flat packs and it seemed to do the trick

Uhtred Sat 24-Jun-17 10:24:01

I personally don't think you should leave any rubbish in the bins at all if you move, unless maybe a small bag from the day before or something. It's not that hard to go to the dump (although I guess it depends how far away your nearest dump is) and it's not nice for the new owners to have to sort it out.
Yours sound like utter twats. I'm sorry you've had to deal with this but agree you've going to have to grin and bare it and empty it out yourselves. I'd kick up a stink with the council it's not fair you have to pay for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now