Talk

Advanced search

Where to live (London or around) - looking for inspiration!

(11 Posts)
MiniMaxi Fri 23-Jun-17 08:55:59

Consulting the Mumsnet Oracle for inspiration on where to move to in N / NW / W London or outskirts...

DH and I are thinking of moving in the next couple of years. Our DS is nearly 1 - we are in an upstairs flat and need more space!

Currently in zone 2 NW London and we'd love to stay local but houses are way too expensive round here.

Need to be able to commute to Finchley (me - driving or public transport) and west end / shoreditch (DH).

Good local state schools a massive bonus!

Budget would be 800k ideally, 900 may be possible at a stretch. Looking for 4 bed, or a 3 bed with potential to extend.

So Mumsnetters - where do you recommend??

dandeliondelilah Fri 23-Jun-17 19:45:37

You could get a nice big house in Southgate N14 / Winchmore Hill N21. It would be a drive round the North Circ to Finchley but train and / or tube for central London.
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67225919.html
This one has great schools very close (primary and secondary), a twenty minute walk to tube or train (different stations which gives you options for getting home, four beds, a untilty room, a park on your doorstep - all for £850k

tissuesosoft Fri 23-Jun-17 19:50:04

Ruislip, Ickenham, Eastcote- all on the Met line to Finchley. Good schools, lovely roads

dandeliondelilah Fri 23-Jun-17 20:00:39

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60579829.html
Or www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44194233.html
Both on the Southgate - Barnet border and in catchment for very desirable Ashmole Academy (primary and secondary).

Neutrogena Fri 23-Jun-17 21:24:58

Tissue - Finchley Road is nowhere near Finchley. OP - live around Potters Road in Barnet.
New Barnet train takes you into the city in less than 30 mins, and easy to drive or tube to Finchley. Schools good and lots of green space. You can easily get a period semidetached for less than 1m

tissuesosoft Fri 23-Jun-17 21:43:59

Finchley is only a 10 minute bus ride from Finchley Road, perfectly doable.

MiniMaxi Fri 23-Jun-17 23:41:05

Thanks all! Will check those out

TupperwareTat Fri 23-Jun-17 23:45:14

Those links all look very nice.

cestlavielife Sat 24-Jun-17 00:05:20

No .....Finchley is 29 minutes from Finchley Road ... at least
Finchley Road tube is not near Finchley

tissuesosoft Sat 24-Jun-17 06:18:11

That's strange, when I used to travel that way it only took 10 minutes by bus. But appreciate it may be too much to add onto a commute

MiniMaxi Sat 24-Jun-17 06:24:42

To weigh in to the Finchley / Finchley Road debate, this bus journey used to be part of my commute and it took about 20 mins wink

Office is another 10 mins walk from the bus stop so it all adds up.

Anyway! Definitely considering places on the Met line as we'd rather be on tube if poss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now