Talk

Advanced search

Fear of arson through airbrick and letterbox...

(12 Posts)
lostandfound12 Wed 21-Jun-17 19:41:11

Is this even possible via an airbrick? how can i prevent it? maybe worrying for nothing?

thanks smile

insancerre Wed 21-Jun-17 19:44:08

You need airbricks to keep your house healthy and ventilated
The risk of someone starting a fire in an air brick is much lower than the risk of damage to your health and house if you fill it in

outabout Wed 21-Jun-17 19:51:18

Do you really make that many enemies that would want to burn your house down?
If someone wants to harm you there are so many ways for which this would be rather 'subtle'.
Letterbox COULD be more of an issue but again unlikely.

picklemepopcorn Wed 21-Jun-17 20:01:47

If you have a genuine concern, you can fit an external letter box on the wall and block the door slot up.

lostandfound12 Wed 21-Jun-17 20:03:52

how would i block up the letter box?

BuzzKillington Wed 21-Jun-17 20:03:54

Wow - yes, worrying over nothing. Do you have reason to?

lostandfound12 Wed 21-Jun-17 20:06:58

happened to someone in our street and i recently had a horrible horrible row with someone a few streets away is the honest answer!

DancingLedge Wed 21-Jun-17 21:19:06

If you think you need protection from arson, please ring the fire brigade- not the emergency number- they will be able to give you solid and accurate advice.You won't be the first person asking them.

If you're scared tonight, ring police nonemergency number. Or nail a piece of wood/ board over the inside of the letterbox, so that nothing can be put through it. Smoke alarm?

But also bear in mind that some people like to be intimidating- doesn't mean they'll actually do anything.

dandeliondelilah Wed 21-Jun-17 23:09:36

You can get a metal letter box to fix on the inside of the slot which has some sort of extinguishing device inside: the heat melts the extinguishing device and some kind of chemical reaction occurs which would suffocate the flames. They have one fitted at the wooden scout hut where I am a leader.. no idea if it would work, but reassuring.

Wingedharpy Thu 22-Jun-17 02:39:00

Look at
www.themailboxshop.co.uk for a fireproof letter box bag.
Sorry you have to even consider such a thing - must be very worrying.

Squishedstrawberry4 Thu 22-Jun-17 03:06:55

Is it a wooden front door? Get a woodwork person to block it with cut to size wood. Ours was glued in place and then wood filler used for gaps. Sanded. Repainted. We bought one of those lockable post tins for post.

picklemepopcorn Thu 22-Jun-17 08:22:01

I'm planning on sealing mine with expanding foam. I don't know about flame retardant properties though... I'm keen to stop the dog destroying parcels that delivery drivers keep putting through despite the box outside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now