Talk

Advanced search

How do you decide kitchen unit colour with no walls to paint testers on?

(5 Posts)
HomeExtender Sun 18-Jun-17 09:43:56

Hi
We are currently building an extension & knocking through to the existing house to create a large open plan room. The kitchen starts in the dark side of the house but ends by the window & doors (there will be two windows and bifolds in the external wall). I need to order the kitchen this week & am now fretting about colour choices, initially was thinking of Cornforth white wall units, Hague Blue island, light quartz worktop & wood floor but am now wondering whether to keep all of the units the same light colour to keep it light & airy. We still have chipboard separating the house from the extension & the glazing hasn't been installed yet so I don't have any true walls to paint tester pots on. I did paint the colours on the walls before the work started but they've all gone now! I guess I could paint a couple of large cardboard boxes so that I can place in the extension & view from all sides but it won't give a true reflection as the breezeblock hasn't been plastered yet & the room isn't open plan until the chipboard goes. The room is west facing. How did you decide on your colours when you were doing building work? I am starting to feel overwhelmed!! Thanks smile

wowfudge Sun 18-Jun-17 12:10:18

We have DIY Kitchens' alabaster - a stone cream colour so not a yellow cream. We took a wall out between the original kitchen and an extension. DP was never going to go for a colour and it makes everything light and airy. We decided on the wall colour once all the plastering was done and I found the Dulux Visualiser useful.

badgercat Sun 18-Jun-17 13:21:24

I used the magnet kitchen planner to give an idea what it would look like - ours was a brand new room so you just have to kinda hope for the best!

BigGreenOlives Sun 18-Jun-17 13:23:34

Instead of painting on the walls why not paint on big pieces of card/paper that you can move from place to place to see what the colour looks like in each location?

Allthebestnamesareused Sun 18-Jun-17 13:39:00

I'd definitely go with the units and island as you said the Cornforth with the Hague blue. That sounds lovely.

Timeless by Dulux (which I would describe as a soft white like Wimborne White) would be lovely on the walls with those coloured units.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: