Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

New house needs new floor!

(15 Posts)
rainsbow Sun 18-Jun-17 06:59:55

So we're still going through conveyancing so I'm well aware this could go tits up (though it's just us and them in the chain).

We went back to look around again to measure for a few things. The flooring is really dark and the kitchen/diner/lounge is open plan but all slightly different floorings which drives me nuts.

I'd love a high gloss white flooring. But is this only suitable in a kitchen? Can it be used seamlessly from hallway - kitchen - dining room - conservatory? Lounge wed carpet thanks. I'll add a pic below of what I mean.

rainsbow Sun 18-Jun-17 07:00:35

Like this

LadyPenelopeCantDance Sun 18-Jun-17 08:02:39

It looks lovely but I can imagine it will need a lot of cleaning to keep it looking shiny and nice. Muddy footprints if anyone dares keep their shoes on springs to mind!

I think it would be fine to have in the areas you suggested as it keeps a nice flow throughout.

If it is a tile, I would consider underfloor heating too.

RightHereRightNow2017 Sun 18-Jun-17 08:11:39

We have very similar flooring in our kitchen, it looks lovely but drives me mad in terms of it constantly shows up every cat/dog hair. It can't be mopped as you see smears, it needs to be hand washed - I def won't have the same floor again!

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 18-Jun-17 08:29:47

This is ours in our dining room end of our lounge/diner. (Excuse the Lack of table, new one coming on Monday!)

Originally the tiles went from hall through to lounge, dining room and playroom. We have since carpeted the lounge for comfort and warmth, but the hall is still tiled. It is split with a gripper over the tiles.

We inherited these, they wouldn't have been my choice per se, but they do look beautiful and very modern (when the house is clean and tidy at least). Surprisingly they are very easy to keep clean, I vacuum them as the rest of the floor and mop very rarely.

PickAChew Sun 18-Jun-17 08:44:47

I'd worry about them ending up like an ice rink if anything was splashed on them in a kitchen.

Stopnamechanging Sun 18-Jun-17 08:47:52

We have similar running through the hall and kitchen, I am constantly cleaning it and vacuum at least twice a day.

It looks lovely, we have various pets so that probably makes a difference.

I do think it would look nice but be prepared for the cleaning.

rainsbow Sun 18-Jun-17 09:41:02

Is there a such a thing as vinyl that gives a similar look?

wheresmyphone Sun 18-Jun-17 09:58:28

Def have same floor throughout. Will make it so feel so bigger. Do biggest tiles possible but a Matt not a gloss one.

blankface Sun 18-Jun-17 10:02:00

Aesthetically, it looks lovely, but how safe is is when it's wet? Spills are part of life with children and pets, I wouldn't like to land on that.

Also, would it scuff with furniture being moved on it, pulling out dining-chairs, moving furniture to vac etc.?

Whitelisbon Sun 18-Jun-17 10:29:59

I've got high gloss white tiles in my hall and bathroom. All I can say is don't do it. They never look clean, they go streaky when you wash them, they show up every single little mark, and the tiny chip in one is painfully obvious.
I've got dark tiles in the kitchen, and they're so much better.

EpoxyResin Sun 18-Jun-17 12:18:49

I certainly think it looks amazing, but MY GOD how slippery?? And not just when wet; assuming you'll have guests take off their shoes I imagine a good number of them will go flying!

MiniCooperLover Sun 18-Jun-17 14:35:04

I always look at homes with those super glossy floors and think how beautiful but equally how uncomfortable and cold they look. We have a glossy white floor in the kitchen (put in before we bought it so not my choice) and it's so much work. Steam wash every other day minimum and there is only one child and 2 adults here.

Stopnamechanging Sun 18-Jun-17 15:38:12

Ours have underfloor heating so they are great in the summer and warm in winter but the cleaning, yes shock

rainsbow Sun 18-Jun-17 18:13:57

A vinyl wouldn't be slippy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now