Advanced search

Extending thatched cottage

(3 Posts)
Mummyzzz Sat 17-Jun-17 11:29:48

We've seen a non-listed thatched cottage that needs an extension (big kitchen/diner and 2 bedrooms) and renovation of the old cottage. There's already a single floor extension that might need re-building or building on top of. Can you get planning permission before you buy?? Anyone done something similar and have rough idea of costs involved? Thanks

FlipflopsOrWellieboots Sat 17-Jun-17 11:57:34

There was an article in the Sunday Times Home section last weekend, showing a brilliant extension on a thatched cottage. See if you can find it?

BubblesBuddy Sat 17-Jun-17 16:00:09

In theory you can get pp on a house you don't own but as it can take months it is rarely done by private buyers. Getting suitable plans drawn up is also costly and so is the application procedure.

What you could do is have a consultation with the planning officer for the area but you may have to pay for this. You need to know what restrictions there may be. Although it is not listed, it could be in a conservation area for example. You would be able to ask if they would permit the size of extension you are thinking of, or not, and talk through local design guides regarding materials to be used. I would use this route.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: