Talk

Advanced search

Tradesman questions - please advise

(13 Posts)
SpanishFly Sat 17-Jun-17 07:16:31

Hello.
Got a couple of quotes re having a downturn toilet refitted. He's happy to do it while we're away on holiday - I suggested this, but now I'm not sure how safe/sensible this is.
Secondly he said payment is half up front and half after we get home and inspect etc the work.

Advice/suggestions, please. The only time we've had work done was when we had a little extension built, and I was here most of the time but felt like i was under their feet, so I'm not sure how normal all this is.

Notes - I don't know him personally. Got his name online. He has a website and facebook page both with glowing references/reviews. Photo of his work from start to finish.

gentleshouting Sat 17-Jun-17 07:39:38

I wouldn't, not just because you don't know him but if he messes up and leaves a pipe loose or something then you could come home to an utter mess.

GoneDownhill Sat 17-Jun-17 10:20:30

I wouldn't. Just in case something goes wrong. Chances are that everything would be ok but why take the risk.

PigletJohn Sat 17-Jun-17 11:38:07

"He has a website and facebook page both with glowing references/reviews. Photo of his work from start to finish"

Do you know for sure he didn't write all the references himself, and copy someone else's photos?

Such things happen....

specialsubject Sat 17-Jun-17 15:22:35

Leaving him your keys and access to your house? Give your insurers a call and tell them that is the plan...

Lucisky Sat 17-Jun-17 15:46:17

I wouldnt even do this with a trusted tradesman, simply because I would want to be there to check on the ongoing work, and that it is being done as specified. Too late if you come back and it's all finished but not how you wanted it. I left our plumber upstairs putting a basin in - an hour later he had managed to put it in the wrong place! I assumed he knew what I had wanted, but he didn't.

taybert Sat 17-Jun-17 17:43:25

We often have awkward work done whilst we're away- stuff that means the water or electricity will be off for a significant period of time, new bathroom etc. However, our builder and plumber/electrician have done loads of work for us and we know them pretty well. We also live somewhere really small where everyone knows everyone and reputation is paramount so that helps too. We walk round and agree all the details before we leave and so far it has worked well. Not sure I'd do it if I didn't know them though.

venys Sat 17-Jun-17 22:07:57

No.wouldnt do it with someone I didn't know. Even our friend and builder did the dirty on us when we were away and he had work to do (no longer our friend now). I would imagine refitting a toilet would be half a day tops so no major having it done while your were there.

TDHManchester Sun 18-Jun-17 21:28:18

Speaking personally, if i felt a client didnt trust me, i wouldnt accept their job anyway.

Floggingmolly Sun 18-Jun-17 21:30:29

Why would they trust you, TDH? You're a complete stranger...

PigletJohn Sun 18-Jun-17 21:54:03

hey, TDH, can I have the keys and unrestricted access to your house next time you go on hols?

Wingedharpy Sun 18-Jun-17 21:54:56

I wouldn't do it with someone who had never done work for me before.
I would, and have, done it with tradesmen who have done work for us before and who I trust.
If we are going to be away though, I make sure they are aware of exactly what I want.
I would also have thought with a small job like this, you pay at the end.
It's different if it was a large job and he had to spend a fortune on supplies etc before he's even started.
It's always a risk though, on both sides, having any work done.
I hate It!

SpanishFly Tue 20-Jun-17 15:02:00

Is going to be a 4 day job as the old one has to be fully ripped out and the new one fitted, including walls and a shower cubicle. So not a quick job.
I wouldn't be here the whole time they were working anyway so would leave a key for them whether I was on holiday or not

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now