Advanced search

Marks on wall in rented house.

(11 Posts)
Neolara Tue 13-Jun-17 22:08:04

We are just about to move out of a rented house and back into our house we have been renovating.

The rented house has marks on the paint in the kitchen from where the kettle has boiled and from frying sausages (the cooker is very close to the wall and there is no splashback). The marks don't rub off because the paint is not paint suitable for kitchens, just normal paint. The paint work was pristine when we moved in because it had just been repainted as the owners had tried and failed to sell the house.

Just wondering if this would count as normal wear and tear or whether there would be an expectation that we should repaint.

AvianCatcher Tue 13-Jun-17 22:10:00

Hmm. Could you touch it up?

Every time I get an inspection they moan about grease on the wall behind the cooker. Not to
The point they'd actually bother spending any money on a splashback though hmm

5OBalesofHay Tue 13-Jun-17 22:10:03

Definitely repair. Much cheaper if you do it yourself

tissuesosoft Tue 13-Jun-17 22:11:01

Not sure if it would count as wear and tear as probably depends how long you've lived there. Are you able to get a tester pot to match the paint so you can go over the marks?

TuddlesAndSisses Tue 13-Jun-17 22:11:55

Try sugar soap to get rid of the grease or a magic eraser?

Kokusai Tue 13-Jun-17 22:28:13

Do you know what colour it is? If so I'd just give it a wash down with sugar soap and paint over it. Easiest way to avoid all drama.

If not I'd message the LL and say that you've tried to clean the area behind the job but it doesn't appear that the paint is kitchen paint as it flakes off when you clean it. Given there is no splash back(!) what do they suggest.

Neolara Tue 13-Jun-17 22:30:10

I'm planning to repaint as they have some of the left over paint in a cupboard. It just seems odd that I should be picking up the slack for the owners inappropriate choice of paint. It's impossible to do completely normal things in the kitchen without damaging it disproportionately. What would count as wear and tear?

Partyfops Tue 13-Jun-17 22:33:25

It depends on how long you have been there and just how bad it is. I would talk to the landlord.

I'm an inventory clerk and often find that paint touch ups are just as bad to deal with as they stick out like a sore thumb and you still need to paint it.

Ask if the LL has some spare paint that will def match.

Yy to sugar soap too.

PaulDacresFeministConscience Tue 13-Jun-17 22:34:44

Try a light coloured microfibre cloth with a dab of cream cleaner on it - the supermarket own brands are best IME. Gently rub in a circular motion, then let it dry and brush off the residue with a clean tea towel or kitchen roll.

wowfudge Wed 14-Jun-17 07:39:21

There's no point painting over grease marks without blocking them first with either a primer or stain stop paint. For the best finish use a small gloss roller to put the stain stop on. Don't use the spray stuff: it gets everywhere. Then paint with the left over paint you've got.

specialsubject Wed 14-Jun-17 09:58:44

Wear and tear due to landlord stupidity, and I say that as a landlord. Clean up as you would if there was a splashback, but beyond that - let them get laughed at by the deposit scheme.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: