Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help...oak work tops horrid colour after oiling!

(18 Posts)
QueenofBlah Tue 13-Jun-17 18:54:14

I've got prime oak work tops from Worktop Express. They were a lovely light colour before oiling but now horrid dark sludge brown! I was hoping for a light golden colour. Unfortunately my kitchen fitter had zealously applied 7 coats of Ronseal oil before I came home and saw the awful colour they had turned to. Can anything be done to remove the oil? If so can anyone recommend an alternative oil or varnish?

wowfudge Tue 13-Jun-17 20:17:33

Seven coats! Two or three is the norm for new tops. I'd ring Worktop Express for advise in the morning.

wowfudge Tue 13-Jun-17 20:18:00

advice even

engineersthumb Tue 13-Jun-17 20:21:23

Give it 24-48 Hours as it will significantly change colour as it dries out.

engineersthumb Tue 13-Jun-17 20:22:56

Don't forget all products will darken it slightly. The more oil the better to start with as it will help stop staining latter.

SwedishEdith Tue 13-Jun-17 20:26:07

7 coats in day? Aren't you meant to leave quite a few hours before each coat? He's gone berserk.

hiddenmnetter Tue 13-Jun-17 20:30:32

Oil only penetrates so far (a few mm). It will take some time (a long time) but you could sand it back to get back to the original wood.

I used polyx hard wax/oil on my oak worktops and they look lovely. Deep and rich and golden, bringing out the grain and the beauty of the oak. I love it. I made my wife a butchers block with it (it's made of natural wax & oil so it's safe for food) from the off cuts.

Also, how did this bloke apply 7 coats of oil in one day? It usually takes about 12-24 hours between coats...given he's coated it so, so rapidly there's a chance that it won't have had much of an opportunity to soak into the wood. Try putting some paper towel on the work tops to soak up the oil - don't scrub, only blot. If you scrub you'll be working the oil into the wood.

QueenofBlah Tue 13-Jun-17 20:43:25

He did go beserk! I think he literally wiped on, wiped off and then started again and again! So presumably it's not the fault of the oil, it's just the amount of costs which have made it look so dark. He's advised us to re-coat every day for a fortnight then once a month for the rest of the year. I've tried blotting and have soaked a lot of oil up but it still looks the same. I'll try sanding when it's dryer but I think it will have penetrated too far.

engineersthumb Tue 13-Jun-17 20:47:18

I would suggest leaving it to dry for a couple of days you really don't want to end up with a patchy surface. It really is likely to lighten up in the next few days.

TeaChest100 Tue 13-Jun-17 20:49:22

You do need to build up lots of coats though in order to make it waterproof. If you don't you run the risk of water staining which is much worse. When I was oiling ours it did several coats fairly quickly, the first few soak in almost immediately and then it takes progressively longer for each to dry.

Don't think of it like varnish, it's a different process smile

QueenofBlah Tue 13-Jun-17 21:31:20

Why has it turned so dark then if you do need lots of coats? Is it a problem with the wood?

tigerdriverII Tue 13-Jun-17 21:32:23

Let it dry, then sand, then oil. Will be fine.

tigerdriverII Tue 13-Jun-17 21:33:13

Or : don't sand again- I'm no expert but I bet it'll be fine

TeaChest100 Wed 14-Jun-17 18:38:33

Is it definitely just plain in n oil, or is there a stain included in it, there are a number of different colours you get, antique oak, etc etc.

Can you post a pic?

origamiwarrior Wed 14-Jun-17 19:48:10

I can't see how oil with no stain could change the colour that much. Are you sure the oil doesn't have stain in it? Is it designed for worktops.

If you do manage to get rid of it, Osmo Polyx oil (in clear!) is the product to go for.

QueenofBlah Wed 14-Jun-17 20:56:04

I've tried oiling an off cut of a worktop I once got from Ikea with the same oil, I think that is oak too but not sure. Anyway that piece went a completely different colour - a nice golden shade, which must prove that it's the wood in the worktop which affects the end colour? Strange because the worktop express worktop was very light before oiling.

Badweekjustgotworse Wed 14-Jun-17 21:02:19

What oil are you using? There's different ones, Osmo doesn't darken as much as teak oil for instance

wowfudge Wed 14-Jun-17 21:05:36

Untreated oak has grey tones. Once you oil it, more yellow and brown tones come out ime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now