Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Moving into rented before completion?

(10 Posts)
FusionChefGeoff Tue 13-Jun-17 10:14:36

Looks like our buyer won't wait so to keep our purchase we will need to move into rented. I've never bought in a chain before so am clueless!

There's a long term holiday / caravan park nearby which could be great fun for the summer but what do I need to think about / build into negotiations etc at this stage.

- definitely want to exchange up the chain before we commit to moving out - is this usually possible?
- any chance of getting anyone else to agree to share or even pay our rental / storage costs e.g. Our buyer or our vendor??
- any tips for packing / storage / logistics of the move?? Use same removals company?? Preferably find one who also has storage??
- once in storage, will I be able to access our stuff or not?
- what to do about post?

And finally, I have a tree in my garden planted by a friend for our wedding but he died soon after in tragic circumstances so this tree is very special to me. How can I work this so it moves with us and stands the best chance of surviving? Do you think my best chance is to get our buyers to agree I can come back and move it on completion or get our sellers to agree I can plant it early??

Any advice or experiences from anyone who's been in this situation would be very useful and appreciated.

specialsubject Tue 13-Jun-17 11:39:36

No one else will pay, that's your problem. Sorry. However I don't get what is going on - looks like you are breaking the chain so exchange further up won't happen. If you all exchanged then you wouldnt be moving as that doesn't happen until completion.

Post - set up a redirect and change the redirect when needed.

Storage - use a climate controlled warehouse and you have access. Good luck getting at things though, you'll want to stuff it full as storage is so pricey. When I did this I had a furnished rental so didn't need to take more than a carload of clothes, cooking kit etc.

Kokusai Tue 13-Jun-17 12:32:45

You can exchange on your sale and purchase on the same day - but agree to different completion dates for both. But I think you will struggle to get your vendor to agree to an early exchange as this ripples up the chain.

The only way I can see the tree moving working is to agree with your vendors that you can have it planted before completion after you have exchanged on sale/purchase. However they might not agree to this - it will be disruptive for them and intrusive.

I really don't think you can go back to your house later after completion and get the tree.

BTW tree moving is really difficult and expensive!

DancingLedge Tue 13-Jun-17 13:46:35

Moving the tree in winter( but not in frost) will give it a far higher chance of survival.

You need some skilled input- you have to take a big and heavy rootball.

Ask buyers if you can return for it in November.

Kokusai Tue 13-Jun-17 13:48:45

Ask buyers if you can return for it in November.

No way would I agree to that - you don't want someone coming and digging up a massive tree from your garden of the house you own many months after completion.

Unless you sweetened the deal and planted a decent sized tree in its place but that is expensive.

Finola1step Tue 13-Jun-17 13:50:53

How big is the tree?

DancingLedge Tue 13-Jun-17 13:52:47

There is no chance of moving a 'massive' tree- well only with huge professional equipment. So I'm assuming it's relatively small/young.

If buyers had that emotional connection, I'd say yes to returning in November. Some people wouldn't.
You can but ask.

SmilingButClueless Tue 13-Jun-17 13:55:27

No advice on the exchange aspect, but the people my parents bought their house from arranged to come back in a couple of months and get a tree.

My parents ended up having it cut down... 40 years later.

I think the point that I am making is that moving trees is not particularly practical. Is it something you could take a cutting or seed from, or cut some of the wood to make something from as a reminder of your friend?

FusionChefGeoff Tue 13-Jun-17 17:54:19

Thanks everyone. Couple of points I should have included.

Above us, there is a financial break in the chain. So our vendors can afford to buy their next house without selling theirs (lucky old them!) but obviously still need to move out before we can get in. So I think that answers why we can complete on ours and move out but just exchange on theirs???

Onviously, I don't want to move anywhere if there's a risk our purchase falls through.

Tree was a bit of an exaggeration! It's a tree shaped bush really. About 5ft high, main 'trunk' 10/15 cm diameter.

loveka Tue 13-Jun-17 18:43:18

It's possible to move a tree that size, but it's best to do it in winter. Summer would be not a good time. Autumn would ok though.

You have to dig all the way round the root ball, then really soak it. Then lift it and pot into a huge container. Then water it a lot. But don't over water!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now