Talk

Advanced search

I need a wind-break for my patio

(10 Posts)
pinkpanda101 Sun 11-Jun-17 17:20:45

My lovely new L-shaped self-build house has a patio in the 'L' and we thought it would be quite sheltered having house on two sides. It's south/southwest facing and actually the wind whips round it and I am struggling to sit there comfortably, especially when the table parasol keeps being blown away! I've added a pic so you can see the details.

Does anyone have any good ideas about how to make it a bit more sheltered, without
1. Blocking view of garden
2. Costing ££££

We are also debating buying one that of those big overhang parasols where the base would be in the corner of the patio like this one. What do you think? Any better suggestions?

My DH is not big on sitting still outside and my teenage sons are either in bed or playing football in the garden so it's just me who likes relaxing outside and sometimes I have friends round! So I cant justify lots of gorgeous patio furniture unfortunately. Please help me make it nicer and more sheltered, on a budget smile

pinkpanda101 Mon 12-Jun-17 00:02:30

Bump

pinkpanda101 Tue 13-Jun-17 18:20:29

Anyone????

wowfudge Wed 14-Jun-17 07:48:47

Thing is, I can't tell from your picture where the windbreak would need to be and all the things I can think of are not see-through! Things like clumps of tall bamboo in pots. Is the umbrella not anchored in a stand/in a table? Other than that, a glass balustrade could work, but is likely to be pricey.

PigletJohn Wed 14-Jun-17 13:26:10

A hedge makes a good windbreak but will take several years and will block the view. A trellis will have some effect if you grow climbers thickly up it. I have vines but you could do sweet peas which grow quickly, or beans and peas.

Clematis and honeysuckle need a lot of cutting.

You will need proper strong fenceposts to stand up to the wind.

ShortLass Wed 14-Jun-17 17:57:16

Patio wind break suggestion:
www.primrose-awnings.co.uk/find/?style=50&colour=&width=&power=&min=0&max=false&ord=asc

pinkcheesy Wed 14-Jun-17 18:18:06

shortlass that looks like it might be my answer! Thanks so much just have to convince DH now smile

ACurlyWurly Thu 15-Jun-17 13:30:14

pricey but would be good on top of the wall www.stainlesshandrailsystems.co.uk/elegance-glass-balustrade/?mkwid=sHcEQloKR_dc|pcrid|76896565348|pkw||pmt|&mh_keyword=&bnine=true&source=shopping&campaign=TopSellingItems&gclid=CjwKEAjw4IjKBRDr6p752cCUm3kSJAC-eqRtoqGxRJU3Z8Zjb_62NJT_J8R0dL_U6fF7lpfN4dRvdxoCTZjw_wcB

Intransige Thu 15-Jun-17 13:45:34

Where does the wind come from on to your property? I would put trees there, rather than enclose the patio.

Llamacorn Thu 15-Jun-17 13:53:54

I like the glass that ACurlyWurly posted.
I've made my own windbreaker screens before for taking away in the caravan and they were super simple using material (duvet covers) and string dowelling. Sounds horrible but so many people have asked when we've used them, would be great that you could fold and put away when not in use but not sure how practical it would be depending on where you would want to place it.
You can buy clear windbreaks but most have to be pegged down, unless you could adapt in some way using weights/stand? Would be a cheap option anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now