Talk

Advanced search

Bin day when moving.

(18 Posts)
Tobuyornot99 Sat 10-Jun-17 11:33:54

Moving house Monday, which happens to be bin and some recycling day. Am I OK to leave the bins (with an apology and bottle of wine), or do I need to make a trip to the tip / bring the recycling with me to put out at new place? I think I'd be annoyed to be greeted with a full bin at new house, but maybe I'm over thinking?

Wolfiefan Sat 10-Jun-17 11:38:39

Surely by the time they move in the bins will be empty?! And I doubt they will arrive at their new house with a box of stuff to go in the recycling?!

HmmOkay Sat 10-Jun-17 11:39:50

A full bin is fine.

Just don't leave rubbish piled up elsewhere.

If you leave it there on Monday it will be emptied on Monday surely? The bin people may even have emptied it by the time the new people arrive.

You could leave a note saying Monday is bin day, you've left the last of your stuff in there, and it will be emptied later today.

Tobuyornot99 Sat 10-Jun-17 11:43:50

Sorry, in my mind Monday is bin day in that they go out on Monday night for Tuesday (there's logic there somewhere, honest grin). Does it still stand that it's OK to leave it? Thanks for the replies

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sat 10-Jun-17 11:47:28

I'm sure it's fine. Just leave it all tidy and out, and a note explaining that you've put the bins out and they're usually done by Xo'clock on Tuesday.

HmmOkay Sat 10-Jun-17 11:49:29

Yes, it's fine to leave it out.

Just put a note. Be useful for them to know which day is bin day anyway.

Tobuyornot99 Sat 10-Jun-17 11:53:09

Thanks all! Nothing like sweating the small stuff when you've a to do list as long as your arm!

specialsubject Sat 10-Jun-17 12:39:33

Perfect timing, the new owners will have an empty bin the next day. I moved in two days after the fortnightly collection to be greeted by a full bin.

sunnysouthend Sat 10-Jun-17 12:46:55

Sorry to hijack - but what is the etiquette if it's several days until bin day - say you move on a Monday but bin day is not til Thursday? Do you just leave it?

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Sat 10-Jun-17 12:47:09

Yes, it's fine.

The new owners won't have that much rubbish on the first evening anyway - probably just takeaway containers & an empty champagne bottle grin.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Sat 10-Jun-17 12:49:11

If it's several days until bin day, the decent thing to do would be to leave some space. Not necessarily a completely empty bin - but a reasonable bit of room.

FluffyWhiteTowels Sat 10-Jun-17 12:50:17

A few days post moving as long as bin wasn't full i would leave it

Kokusai Sat 10-Jun-17 18:55:26

Leave a note and a bottle of wine if t makes oh feel better.

"Bin day is Tuesday, sorry about the full bin! Enjoy your new home :-)"

lindylove14 Sat 10-Jun-17 21:46:29

You could ask your current neighbours if they could take some of it as you depart on Monday? Or perhaps someone will be on holiday and willing to take the lot?

MissDuke Sun 11-Jun-17 06:48:23

It was in our contract that we wouldn't leave any rubbish in the bins so we stopped using them after the last emptying before we were to move, we just took everything to the dump. The house we moved into also had empty bins. I would not have been happy to have arrived to a full bin!

Squishedstrawberry4 Sun 11-Jun-17 06:52:30

Ask ab helpful neighbour to help? Bribe them with chocolate

Bluebell9 Mon 12-Jun-17 11:50:57

I moved a few weeks ago and the bin on the new house was completely full. Where I live the bins are only collected every 2 weeks, the bin had been emptied the day before I moved in so I had to wait 12 days for it to be emptied! Not impressed.
As yours is being emptied the next day, I think its fine to leave it.

cherrytree63 Tue 13-Jun-17 18:55:24

When I was selling I asked the estate agent about the bins and was told it was fine to leave them as long as they weren't overflowing.
The house I bought had been empty for a year, no council tax had been paid and the bins were crammed full.
When I phoned the council they delivered new bins and took the old ones away sealed up as toxic waste.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: