Talk

Advanced search

Can I turn a flat into an office? To rent out?

(7 Posts)
VIPissArtist Fri 09-Jun-17 21:06:09

I have inherited a run down flat that will need at least 15 thou if not more spent on it - to knock walls down, and re configure it, plastering, re wiring etc.

The yield would then be Max, 400 a month.

Or, can I turn it into an Office space? Or work place ie...beauty parlor sort of thing....Then I wouldn't have to do anything except replace and spruce up the teeny bathroom etc..I ask because I am worried about fees, forms - to do this? If there are any...

Syc4moreTrees Fri 09-Jun-17 21:07:43

You'd need to apply for a change of usage from residential to commercial

VIPissArtist Sat 10-Jun-17 10:44:15

Thank you - I wonder are there any other things to consider - if it was empty does one still pay council tax etc...

senua Sat 10-Jun-17 11:22:23

Where is it? - in a block of flats, above a shop, near footfall, near parking?

If it is let as a beauty parlour or similar then the business will need to worry about access for the public.

Spickle Sat 10-Jun-17 11:37:18

You need to read your Lease too. The Lease often forbids leaseholders to alter the layout of the flat without consent from the freeholder, so you can't just knock down walls without permission.

Lucisky Sat 10-Jun-17 12:42:46

Speaking from experience of inherited property and council tax, this all depends on your local councils rules. When my parents died, their local council charged nothing for one year, then it was full rate, but it differs from area to area, and you will have to enquire. Also, make sure you have the property insured, if this is not included with the service (if any) charge, as insurances die with the occupier. Unoccupied inherited property is a minefield. Don't know much about changing residential to commercial, but again, the local council would be able to advise.

VIPissArtist Sat 10-Jun-17 13:12:43

Lucisky thats really helpful - yes its inherited flat but in v bad condition re bathroom and kitchen. To make it good for living purposes I would have to knock down walls.

I thought I could get away with doing less to make it attractive space for something like classes - yoga? Beauty place - nails, massage....

Its above a shop, reasonably OK access. At the very least I thought...I could spend ££ to re wire, re plaster - do basic kitchen and bathroom and then if someone wants to rent it for commercial great - if not - I can sell it a little more spruced up?

My worst scenario is paying huge amount of bills for it - it rotting more in winter - the worry of it. No lease I am freeholder.

Or bite the bullett and do tons of work to it - to look on it as long term investment?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now