Advanced search

Hedge blocking pavement ... who is responsible?

(9 Posts)
MrsExpo Fri 09-Jun-17 13:43:01

I regularly walk a short route from home to our local shop/post office. It's a few hundred yards at most, but along a very busy main road. There is a pavement, although its narrow in places, and at one of the narrowest points it is almost completely over hung by a very tall/thick hedge. So much so that people often have to step into the road to get past. Anyone using a wheelchair or pushing a baby buggy can't get past and have to walk along the road into oncoming traffic. In short, it's a genuine safety hazard. The hedge belongs to a house which has been empty for several months but has recently been sold. What's the best way to proceed here? Knock politely on the door and suggest they cut it back, (no-one in residence at the moment) or do I report it to someone on the council to deal with? Either way, there's going to be accident if it's not restrained pretty soon. Thanks everyone.

Mycutiemarkisrubbish Fri 09-Jun-17 13:45:41

You could knock or put a note through, the new owners might do something?

We had this with our neighbours. Lots of people had spoken to them but they never did anything. I tried the local council but they said they couldn't do anything, which wasn't true - in the end I contacted our local councillor, who got on to the council and sent them a letter saying if they hadn't cut it in 14 days the council would cut it and Bill them.

ChippyMinton Fri 09-Jun-17 13:47:21

That's right, contact the council and they will serve notice on the owner.

YellowLawn Fri 09-Jun-17 13:47:49

is your area part of the fix-my-street

Notthisnotthat Fri 09-Jun-17 13:49:09

Local council have the power to make them cut it.

TizzyDongue Fri 09-Jun-17 13:50:38


It is effective - unless the hedge is owned by your local councillor of course then it isn't ...

wowfudge Fri 09-Jun-17 14:32:14

If there are birds nesting, it is an offence to disturb them so it may be that the hedge owner's hands are tied at the moment.

ICantDecideOnAUsername Fri 09-Jun-17 14:37:22

I had to do this on a road near me as I struggled to get the buggy past with hedge overhang and a very narrow path right on a corner. I filled out a form on my councils website and they sent me an email to say they would get in touch with the owner of the house. Couple of days later it was cut back (although, I might add, not quite enough as there is still a good foot overhang at shoulder level. Why don't people just cut back to the boundary? It might look bare to start with but it will soon grow back. Rant over!)

Ginmakesitallok Fri 09-Jun-17 14:47:51

The council wrote to us a couple of years ago to get us to cut back a tree which was blocking a lamp post - so contact the council

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: