Talk

Advanced search

Getting a mortgage while pregnant

(18 Posts)
user1490521163 Tue 06-Jun-17 07:07:14

Hello,
I've been trying to research this a lot but still have no answers.. I'm 19 weeks pregnant, offer has just been accepted on a house and we have received our mortgage in principle (went via a mortgage broker). Now going through the process of applying for a mortgage and we haven't told anyone that I am pregnant yet, not even the mortgage broker. My wage is very little anyway, and it is my partners wage that will be making the difference, and we know we will be able to afford repayments due to savings and his wage, also I will be going back to work as soon as I can. However, I'm worried now that the lenders will contact my employer and my employer will tell them I am pregnant. Are they allowed to do this though? Or can I ask them not to? What is the best thing to do in this situation? I'm worried they're going to find out but I don't want to tell them. What will the lenders expect from my employers?

ArgyMargy Tue 06-Jun-17 07:13:04

Why would they contact your employer? And if they did, why would your employer tell them you're pregnant? It's a mortgage not a job application!

PotteringAlong Tue 06-Jun-17 07:14:18

Why would they? It's based on your income over thE past few months.

Imbeingunreasonable Tue 06-Jun-17 07:14:48

No they wouldn't contact your employer: I got a mortgage when I was pregnant

user1490521163 Tue 06-Jun-17 07:35:03

THank you. I knew they contacted your employer to check your employment etc so wondered if they would ask any other questions, like if there would be any changes? But I do feel like this is confidential protected information so I hoped they wouldn't!

PotteringAlong Tue 06-Jun-17 07:44:09

But they don't contact your employer, that's what we're saying.

PotteringAlong Tue 06-Jun-17 07:44:58

They don't need to check your employment- you produce pay slips etc that prove it.

needsomesunshineandwine Tue 06-Jun-17 08:50:43

Only certain circumstances they will ask for employers letters or references.

My friend didn't tell she was pregnant, you will be fine.

MissDuke Tue 06-Jun-17 09:27:00

My application asked if we are aware of any upcoming changes to our income and gave redundancy and maternity leave. If it doesn't ask that then you are fine.

Eminybob Tue 06-Jun-17 09:35:31

Not a problem. They will use your current income regardless, and if you are manning to go back to work after mat leave then it's fine.
It's just important that your budget for the payments takes account of when your income will drop

Imbeingunreasonable Tue 06-Jun-17 10:39:38

They don't contact your employer iirc. They just want your pay slips. I think I had around 6 months worth of pay slips if I recall

Otherpeoplesteens Tue 06-Jun-17 11:12:01

We've just been through this. Told the broker, and he went for lenders who don't ask. Received formal offer with no trouble.

kirinm Tue 06-Jun-17 11:57:47

It was my understanding that they care about future childcare costs and take that into account with affordability checks but I caveat that with the fact I was only told that by a friend who was remortgaging after she'd had a child - I don't know if that was just a concern or an actual question they'd been asked.

Maiz7654 Tue 06-Jun-17 13:34:04

I got a mortgage while pregnant and had no issues. My friend did the same and just needed a letter from her employer to say she will be returning after maternity leave.

TurquoiseDress Tue 06-Jun-17 14:09:13

You will only need to provide pay slips, they don't actually contact your employer (as far as I know)

It's up to you whether you disclose the pregnancy but it's not really anybody's business as long as you are able to make mortgage payments etc

I hope the purchase goes through smoothly! Once you have a baby and all the associated childcare costs, that is what affects affordability etc

SwimmingMom Tue 06-Jun-17 14:27:23

We got a mortgage when I was pregnant & completed when I was 8 months along. Not a single form asks if you are pregnant. So unless you shout it from the rooftops no one will know, and more importantly no one needs to know. Employers will never give this info to the mortgage company as it is not asked. You can relax, it was a worry for me too but I need not have bothered. We had 3 approved mortgages for various reasons, and not one of them was interested in this. smile

Magstermay Tue 06-Jun-17 14:35:03

It was 4 years ago but I was very obviously pregnant and the mortgage advisor didn't care. On paper the baby doesn't exist as a dependent til it's born so the mortgage is based on current circumstances, not what might happen in the future.

MissPollyPops Tue 06-Jun-17 17:47:52

When I took out my mortgage, I was told they would contact my work. I remember warning my manager he might be getting a call. And I've just took out a new deal and my works phone number was in the contact details..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now