Talk

Advanced search

East Riding

(15 Posts)
Mouseylu Sun 04-Jun-17 09:27:28

We are moving to the ER next year. Any areas to avoid? Working just to the west of hull. Happy for drive of 20-25 mins. Thinking maybe Beverley?? Any thoughts appreciated.

LarrytheCucumber Sun 04-Jun-17 09:33:05

Beverley is good and would be my choice. Lots of people who work in Hull live in Beverley. Cottingham is also popular, still in ER but closer to Hull.

MimsyBorogroves Sun 04-Jun-17 09:34:46

Brough is lovely as is South Cave. Very good schools too, especially Hunsley. Easy commute to West Hull, particularly on back roads avoiding A63.

aliciagardner Sun 04-Jun-17 09:36:39

What are you looking for OP - completely rural, village, or close to a town with bars and shops?

BikeRunSki Sun 04-Jun-17 09:52:45

Wherever you buy in ER, please check the Environment Agency flood maps for the area.

Hessle is nice too, of you want a "naice" town, closer to Hull than Beverley. But all the villages around Bev are nice!

Mouseylu Sun 04-Jun-17 09:54:56

Thanks everyone. Looking for nice village/small town. Great tip re flooding Bike.

NoraCharlesMartiniGlass Sun 04-Jun-17 10:22:23

Agree with Beverley and all the suggestions from PP.

Howden is nice too, although realistically it's more like a 30 minute drive.

LarrytheCucumber Sun 04-Jun-17 19:40:38

No-one has mentioned Swanland. Meant to be nice but pricey.

KnobJockey Sun 04-Jun-17 20:36:15

Beverley is a market town- much busier than a village, although it has a lovely atmosphere. You could try around the Brough/ Elloughton/ Kirkella/ North Ferriby area, although these are pricier than Hull surrounds. The surrounding 'villages' to Hullare Hessle, Anlaby, Cottingham, Willerby, although I wouldn't quite class them as that, more as Hull suburbs- too close to Hull, too much traffic.

I live in Hull, I'm looking to relocate to Beverley myself, or would live in Willerby out of the ones close to Hull. My MIL lives in Elloughton and really likes it there, it's very handy for the M63 but quiet with it.

BikeRunSki Sun 04-Jun-17 20:38:40

Don't tell my aunt that Hessle is really Hull suburbs!!shock. It's the East Riding don't you know!

BikeRunSki Sun 04-Jun-17 20:41:20

Bit leftfield - but Barton on Humber?

KnobJockey Sun 04-Jun-17 20:46:52

If the bus from Hull to Hessle doesn't have to go through any motorway or countryside to get there, it's part of the same place 😁

LarrytheCucumber Mon 05-Jun-17 08:03:54

I know someone who moved to Barton on Humber and found it really unfriendly to outsiders. Dd has a friend married to a Barton man. They have just moved there from Hull and she says the same.

BikeRunSki Mon 05-Jun-17 09:10:37

I withdraw my suggestion then!!!! I've only ever visited for the day. And why live in Lincolnshire, fern tiu could live in Yorkshire 😄?

ThereIsNoSuchThingAsRoadTax Mon 05-Jun-17 09:23:27

There are lots of nice villages slightly further to the west than the 'suburb' villages of Cottingham, Willerby, Hessle, Anlaby, Kirk Ella, etc.. that are much prettier. Have a look at places like Welton, Bishop Burton, Walkington, Little Weighton, South Cave. West Ella and Swanland are also pleasant. If I could find a nice house in the centre of Welton which I could afford, I would live there.
Where will you be working? Traffic though the suburb villages at rush hour is terrible. My commute from just west of Cottingham into north Hull takes at least 30 minutes during rush hour, 12 minutes at other times. Traffic out of Willerby (going either way) is absolutely awful mainly because of a couple of roundabouts serving three supermarkets. If you aren't going to be working in Hull then, much as I like Cottingham, I wouldn't live in one of the suburb villages (which, as PP have said are really suburbs, and are not really villages - Cottingham has a population of about 17,000).
Parts of Beverley are lovely, other parts are much less so - there are a lot of characterless new build estates around the edges and a huge soulless council estate on the east side. A lot of the nicer houses in the better parts of the town have small gardens and parking is a problem. I'm not sure I'd want to buy there unless I had a lot of money to spend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now