Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What level of detail from architect?

(5 Posts)
MariafromMalmo Sat 03-Jun-17 07:30:41

We have exchanged contracts on a house that needs a complete renovation to be ripped down and replaced

We have found an architect we would like to work with but I wanted to ask some questions about what level of detailed work we should expect at the design stage. E.g.
There are two separate areas with beautiful views, but one in particular will need to be properly sized to make the most of it. Will the architect send someone out to measure what the size should be?
In terms of materials: how detailed will the discussions get on wall finishes, flooring etc especially when thinking about how all the different surfaces sit together.

Thanks

ihatethecold Sat 03-Jun-17 07:46:21

Our architect has visited us 4 times to discuss plans and finer details like window and door sizes.
We get regular plans sent through by post and email that we then can change slightly and email back.
The plans have evolved over time.

We measure the room spaces in the garden so we are absolutely sure we are getting room sizes right.

ihatethecold Sat 03-Jun-17 07:47:09

Our architect has visited us 4 times to discuss plans and finer details like window and door sizes.
We get regular plans sent through by post and email that we then can change slightly and email back.
The plans have evolved over time.

We measure the room spaces in the garden so we are absolutely sure we are getting room sizes right.

MariafromMalmo Sat 03-Jun-17 08:43:32

Four times does not seem a huge quantity to me. And this is where I worry about us being realistic.

I am still buzzing about the project - we only found out that we were going to get the house on Tuesday. It is exciting though isn't it. How far on are you in this process?

Thanks

ihatethecold Sat 03-Jun-17 11:05:51

We are doing an extension, converting the garage and adding s boot room.
We're also converting a small barn for my teenage ds.

We've had lots of contact as well as the visits.
We are just about to submit to planning which takes ages round here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now