Advanced search

Accepted offer on our house but not sure now.

(21 Posts)
Chocy18 Fri 02-Jun-17 06:30:55

We accepted an offer on our house yesterday. Our neighbours saw the buyers arrive for the viewing and have already expressed their dissatisfaction. (The potential buyers currently live in the same village as us so my neighbours are aware of them.) The agent says he has checked their financial situation and it's all fine. They have offered cash so would go through quickly. We have lived here for 10 years and have spent a lot of time and effort on our home and have nice neighbours. I'm not sure now it seems more real that I even want to move. I'm three months pregnant with our second child. We currently have three bedrooms but we're looking for more space especially outside. The house we're potentially going to buy needs a lot of work but is in the perfect location and has the land we want. I just feel really torn as they don't feel like the right people to sell to and I'm not even sure I want to sell at the moment. On the other hand it's a good offer. We wouldn't be moving far so would still see our old neighbours if things didn't go right. Anyone else just felt a sale isn't right? Would you consider the views of your neighbours when selling?

PossomInAPearTree Fri 02-Jun-17 06:36:12

I wouldn't consider my neighbours views, sorry but no. If you decide not to sell then that's different.

Groovee Fri 02-Jun-17 06:37:39

Forget the neighbours! You want to make the move and any buyers will have the neighbours sticking their oars in.

Growup Fri 02-Jun-17 06:37:54

You can't base a sale on whether you like the prospective buyers or not nor what your neighbours think!

You do need to be sure you actually want to move though.

PotteringAlong Fri 02-Jun-17 06:39:36

Sod the neighbours! Sell your house!

Youvegotafriendinme Fri 02-Jun-17 06:44:04

No I wouldn't consider my neighbors, I'm sure they wouldn't do they same if it was them moving. When we first put our flat on the market, the lady above us was also on the market, we were offered the full asking price by the buyer but something in my gut didn't feel right. My parents and DH parents Andrew DH were not happy with me as I wouldn't budge but I'm glad I stuck as the 2 years later we put it back up and made an extra 30k. The woman that offered on our flat bought the flat above and was the neighbour from hell for 2 years and our neighbour that sold it to her knew it.

Youvegotafriendinme Fri 02-Jun-17 06:51:41

Not andrew! Was supposed to say and! Been awake since 4! confused

wowfudge Fri 02-Jun-17 07:18:00

My god your neighbours sound awful - I cannot imagine what your buyers have done to elicit that response from them, but it sounds like pure prejudice. It's not up to them who you sell to. Whatever you do (I suggest you ignore them btw), do not share what goes on during the conveyancing process with them. When we sold our neighbours said they were sorry to see us go and wished us all the best in our new place. That was it.

KarmaNoMore Fri 02-Jun-17 07:22:52

So, are you really considering risking loosing the house you want, spend months waiting for another buyer and be stressed while you wait in a chain when every single buyer/seller can pullout and collapse all your plans, just to keep some nosey neighbours happy?

Get the cash and run, your neighbours wouldn't give a shit about you if they were in the same dilemma.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Fri 02-Jun-17 07:25:59

I think your pregnancy has messed with your head. Ignore your neighbours!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 02-Jun-17 07:30:05

Ignore your neighbours.

Imagine how you would feel if your ea rang you and said your buyers had pulled out? Gutted or relieved? That reaction might show whether you actually want to move or not,

GU24Mum Fri 02-Jun-17 07:46:07

It sounds as though you're not quite ready to leave your current house tbh : if you were selling to someone the neighbours didn't mind, surely you'd still have the same concerns about the amount of work the new place needs. As the PP has said, try and think what you'd say if your OH came home and said how about staying put in your house for 18 months - secretly relieved or disappointed?

Coddiwomple Fri 02-Jun-17 08:46:39

Such a dangerous game to "chose" your buyers.
The "lovely family" turns out to be a bunch of antisocial weirdos who will horrible children and parties every weekend until the early hours
The "lovely pregnant newlyweds" turns out to be a couple of developers who will redo the house, sell it on or just let it to anyone.
The charming old gentleman will be obsessed with gardening and start at 6am but expect complete silence from 6pm

I really do sympathise with your neighbours, when you see viewings next door you do cringe sometimes and pray for the best, but there's nothing they can do, it's always a risk.

Ignore the buyers, focuse on your home and stay or go for the one which is right for you.

xandersmom2 Fri 02-Jun-17 09:16:05

I know it's tough to think of it this way, but this is a financial/business transaction. You might not like your customers, but their money is just as good as anyone else's.

The views of your neighbours are irrelevant - this isn't a house-share situation where you're subletting your 'room' to someone they are going to be sharing a house with.

My parents just about lost their minds a while back couple of years ago when one of the neighbours in their little sleep cul-de-sac was selling, and the new people were not 'acceptable' in my parents' eyes as they had a motorbike and tattoos (this was the point where I showed my mother my tattoos which she'd never seen before lmao). In the end this person didn't move in (though nothing to do with my parents!) but seriously, folks need to be more accepting of others. (Rant over......)

ShinyGirl Fri 02-Jun-17 09:18:36

"Expressed their dissatisfaction?"

I'd give the buyers a discount just to spite them.

DancingLedge Fri 02-Jun-17 09:48:13

What exactly were the neighbours' reservations?

My ndn would be very against the 'wrong sort' based solely on class. Her problem, I'd take no notice.

If she genuinely knew something about them, not rumour or gossip, I'd be listening.

Chocy18 Fri 02-Jun-17 10:09:35

Thank you for your messages. I feel a bit better now and I know it's a business transaction. Their reservations are exactly based on class as they currently live in local authority housing. They have inherited some money and decided to buy in our street. I just need to move on I think. Estate agents reckon could be done in 9-12 weeks as cash sale and our sellers are chain free. Have to think about my own family.

JeffreySadsacIsUnwell Fri 02-Jun-17 10:20:25

Hm, I was going to ask about the neighbours' reservations too - because if the neighbours knew the potential buyers had form for deceit/posturing/loud-mouthedness, I might be very circumspect about whether they really were cash buyers! Class, on the other hand... It would be good for your neighbours to have their prejudices challenged wink.

Do you think your neighbours would care about you if they wanted to sell? Or do you think they'd take the best offer?

Kokusai Fri 02-Jun-17 11:11:23

You're being daft. Sell the house, move to a new one. Wave bye bye to your old neighbors!

specialsubject Fri 02-Jun-17 19:07:22

With neighbours like that, sell to the local drug cartel....

Just kidding. None of us get to choose our neighbours.

PaulDacresFeministConscience Fri 02-Jun-17 21:45:38

In the nicest possible way, fuck the neighbours. You need to think about what is best for your family's needs. There's an inbuilt risk when you buy a property that your neighbours may change - there's nothing you can do about it and it's very unreasonable for your neighbours to expect you to 'vet' your buyers. If they are solvent and proceedable buyers then go for it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: