Talk

Advanced search

Can't decide between two houses - does location or house win?

(15 Posts)
billex22b Wed 31-May-17 09:46:12

Hello all. I am having a major house dilemma and dricing myself crazy so I have decided to see what the wise people of mumsnet think! My dh and I decided long ago that we alsways wanted to move out of London to somewhere more rural once we'd had our second child. We settled on two villages, one more practical (it has a school, two pubs, a gp, church, a decent shop open 7 days a week, village green, loads of stuff going on) in a semi rural location, and an idyllic village with a smaller village shop selling the essentials, a very pretty pub, and a school and church and village green. Both similar distance (two miles) from nearest station, both have a fairly decent bus service too.
We've found a houses we love in both villages. The one in the semi rural village is a show stopper in terms of size and rooms and it's very charming and has a big long garden and is set on a village street. But the second house in the more rural village is in a stunning location, a few mins from centre of village down a country lane and it's set on a plot with a front cottage garden and the back garden although a bit smaller backs onto lovely fields. But the house is smaller and would need an extention, which we have the money to do but still...

I know the bang on house in the semi rural location is the more sensible choice, but I always imagined living right in the country, and seeing it from my window. And it's not as if the pretty village is without amenities. But still I can't decide, or imagine how I will feel once I am there. I get more excited thinking about the rural location, but once I am living there in mid February and I have less neighbours on my doorstep will I feel a bit stranded?

What do you think I should do???

Oliversmumsarmy Wed 31-May-17 09:52:38

Are you sure, given you would be living in the Green Belt you would get an extension on the country house and if you couldn't would you be happy living in the size of house as it stands.

Think in both cases about how many times you would need to get the car out at night if you forget something and need to get to the nearest 24hour supermarket.

Personally I would not leave London, but if you have to I would go for practical over a view

PickAChew Wed 31-May-17 09:53:08

Living right in the country isn't all that if you're used to having everything on your doorstep.

The better house would also win on location for me.

PickAChew Wed 31-May-17 09:53:13

Living right in the country isn't all that if you're used to having everything on your doorstep.

The better house would also win on location for me.

pinkdelight Wed 31-May-17 09:56:06

Semi-rural sounds way better, esp with small children. And older kids too for that matter. Unless you know for sure you like living rurally with very few amenities and little going on, then go semi-rural every time.

Kokusai Wed 31-May-17 10:04:50

I'd go for the semi-rual

bojorojo Wed 31-May-17 10:31:09

I live in a location with no shop, no pub, no school, no bus service etc. Our house looks out over our own fields but you have to get the car out For Everything! Apart from walking the dog!

We are green belt and AONB and extensions are limited to 30% of the house as it stood in 1948. Do check what extension you can actually have.

I would probably go with being in a village where you have everything and your children can walk to see friends. Mine were always in the car for that too!

MrMenAndLittleMiss Wed 31-May-17 10:37:10

Do either villages have primary and secondary schools? That would win the deal for me. We currently live in a village that has schooling on all levels and, while our money would buy us more in the neighbouring villages, we've decided to buy in the larger village.

PossomInAPearTree Wed 31-May-17 10:44:31

Follow your dream of living in the country. Go for the one which excites you the most or you will have regrets

Judashascomeintosomemoney Wed 31-May-17 10:53:59

Before you decide I'd check the likelihood that you'd get the planning permission you'll need and if the answer is yes then check out the 'lovely fields' i.e. Who owns them and what's there track record for keeping fields as fields, if they're arable then what grade, any likelihood of them being developed in future etc. Where I live there's one particular 'farmer' (haha that's not what we call him), huge landowner, who has a long record for buying up smallish bits of land and then turning them in to solar farms or attempting to get development permission. After years of wrangling he's just just got permission to turn what was a small family farm into an eight hundred house development.

MissDuke Wed 31-May-17 12:59:31

What a tough call to make! Could you have a 2nd viewing at both? Spend a bit of time in both villages? I think we will see which excites you more. The issue re planning permission above is a good point too.

twentytwotwentysix Wed 31-May-17 13:05:05

For me semi rural would win, as I hate the idea of having to get in the car for most things. Schooling would be a factor for sure.

HarrietSchulenberg Wed 31-May-17 13:12:06

Don't assume that because a house backs onto fields now that it will do in years to come.

My poor parents bought a house several years ago purely because of the open view at the back. The owner of the field had sworn that she would never allow it to be built on. Fast forward several years. The field's owner has died and her heirs sold the land for building. There's 140 shitty looking cheaply built houses going up now and not only is the view completely gone (they now look straight at the side wall of a house) but their own house is currently unsaleable until the entire site is finished.

Go for the best house, IMO, not the best view/location.

bojorojo Thu 01-Jun-17 00:18:07

Just to put the record straight - in the countryside there will be neighbourhood development plans or local plans which identify areas for housing. No one gets to build 800 units on green belt aonb land. Any decent search by a solicitor should identify building land and very few rural settlements have large housing estates added that dwarf the original village unless it is planned development. Of course, there is some planned development due to the housing shortage! They have to go somewhere.

NYPDSue Thu 01-Jun-17 08:37:14

We just moved from rural to village (has a couple of pubs, shop, school, park, cafe, buses out to secondary schools). Our house is similar size to our old one but lacks the 'wow' factor that our old house had.
We are still much much happier now we've moved. Yesterday I popped round to have a cuppa with a friend (and stopped en route to have a chat with my neighbour), the day before a friend came to me. Where we used to live all my friends were a minimum 20 min round trip away. My kids walked up to the park to play football (and met some others up there). Later they walked up to the shop (for chocolate!) and they can essentially get themselves to and from school as they walk to the bus stop and catch bus to school there.
At our old (rural) house there was no-where they could walk to to play or visit.
If you have kids rural seems idyllic but it can be lonely and children love playing with other children and for parents having local friends you can talk to is essential (my dc are young teens, lovely but really just want to spend time with their friends!!)
So where we live is probably between your two locations but it is the accessibility of amenities and friends that make the difference to the quality of life for us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now