Talk

Advanced search

Large glass panel and large window

(4 Posts)
SleepBecomesHim321 Wed 31-May-17 07:36:07

Morning, we're trying to get a very rough idea of costs of two large windows we may incorporate in our renovation. I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice before we push our builders for a more itemised idea of different parts of job.

The first will be 1.2m (w) x 2.4m (h) and would just be a clear fixed panel - no opening etc. PVC frame is fine.

The second is bigger (replacement for a garage door) and would be approx 2.9 (w) x 2.4 (h). We'd like a small opening at the top and ideally would like a black steel frame.

Does anyone have any advice about ballpark costs, maybe just for the glass if the rest is too tricky?

Thanks in advance.

JT05 Wed 31-May-17 08:24:54

We had two 2.4 x 1.6 on opening windows put in about 4 years ago, they were about £3000. At the time, in rural Scotland in a first floor room.
There were things to consider, the glass would have been very expensive and heavy without central divider, effectively making it two panes, so we opted for that. ( otherwise due to position it would have involved lifting it with a hoist ).
Due to the exposed SW coastal position, we opted for self cleaning glass. The glass also had to be a particular safety type, which all added to the cost.

ShortLass Wed 31-May-17 16:41:52

You might want to look at aluminium frames which are stronger.

I have an oversize window (not as big as the one you want) by Origin, who also did my bifolds, and it was £800 ish: 1.5m x 0.9m.

Although not an issue for you, they are one of few companies which do a single pane of that size which will open. The company who provided my PVC windows for the rest of the house would not do such a window in a single pane (although, again, this was for an opening window).

SleepBecomesHim321 Thu 01-Jun-17 08:01:45

Thanks, both - this is very helpful. I hadn't considered the cost and risk of a huge panel so will review the design. I'll also have a look at Origin's website. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now